Packing your pack, suggestions?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

goatrodeo2010
NewbieCake

Packing your pack, suggestions?

Post by goatrodeo2010 »

Getting ready, any suggestions on packing the backpack? Do I want to pack as much as I can inside or attach larger items outside? All suggestions welcome for a 8 night stay.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Packing your pack, suggestions?

Post by fonixmunkee »

Let's cover some logistics: what kind of pack (top-loading, for example), and how big (5000 cubic inches)? Also, what's your trek look like? Are you doing the Minong, the Greenstone, or other?

Depending on what your trip looks like, that is a good indication of how you should pack. When you do a lot of up-and-down over steep sections of trail, I like to pack with the heaviest stuff next to my back and closer to my waist for a good center of balance.

And to answer your question about keeping stuff on the outside of my pack, I try to avoid that as much as possible for a number of reasons:

1) If you are there for 5 or more days, you WILL get rained on. It's hard to cover up a pack with a rain cover with stuff hanging off of it.
2) The likelihood of getting underbrush or even trees snagged on your pack grows exponentially with each item that hangs off the pack.
3) Swinging or loose gear can throw of your hiking tempo.
goatrodeo2010
NewbieCake

Post by goatrodeo2010 »

We're traveling with a group of 10 with each having a 5000 or slightly larger packs. Starting at Rock H. and going to McCargo Cove and back to Rock H. Having enough food for each day plus one extra is being planned, so everyone will be loaded to the top. Does this change the mindset?
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

I agree with fonixmunkee post but there are more reasons not to put anything on the outside of your pack.

I have found lots of items on the trail, lost from the outside of a packs thay include .

Tents,traps, sleeping bags,sleeping pads etc.

Losing one of these items can make for a bad trip.

I have a Low Alpine 90+15 and put all items inside !!!!!!!!!!!!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

About the only things you want outside are:
1. Things that are too dirty to go inside (e.g. Crocs)
2. Things that are drying (e.g. wet socks)
3. Things that don't fit inside (e.g fishing poles).
4. Things you need quick access to. (e.g. water bottle)
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

If you're traveling with that many people my suggestion is to put your heaviest items in other people's packs. Be sneaky about it. Spread it around so they don't notice.

I usually pack and repack quite a few times before I leave for my trip, trying the pack on each time. As I do this, I'm generally looking for nonessential items I can leave home. But I'm also getting a feel for comfort and weight distribution and so on.

The only thing I ever put outside my pack is my camp shoes, when I carry some, and they are strapped in tight so I don't lose them. On the other hand, I've found other people's camp shoes on trails before, so maybe that's not such a good idea. I once tried the sleeping pad on the outside but it rained heavy all day and that made for difficult sleeping.

A compression bag for extra clothing can be helpful and it makes for a good pillow. I used to keep my food in one main bag too but have found it easier to spread it around in my pack (I can usually fit a few meals in the extra space of my tent bag, and a meal can fit in the pot I'll cook it in and so on). However, I may still bring a food bag (although I carry it empty and rolled up) so I can keep everything in camp in a central place, preferably hanging from a tree. It just makes my packing easier to stuff things in every cranny rather than trying to make room for one big bag. That way my only large objects to worry about are sleeping pad, tent, sleeping bag (which isn't very big) and cooking gear.

Water bottles go in side pockets of my pack.

Have a great time.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Kevinl wrote:my suggestion is to put your heaviest items in other people's packs.
Yes! :wink: :mrgreen: