Cultural Resources Management Plan

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Cultural Resources Management Plan

Post by Tom »

Midwest Ed wrote:Are these feedback sessions to be used as a review of the most recent evictions or are they a "done deal?"

Or is this feedback to be used only in "moving forward?"
Interesting question. It should be noted that the 'evictions' were technically revocations/expirations of the "Special Use Permits/Volunteer in the Park" status that decendents of IR leaseholders were extended after the final, true lease holder passed away, making the lease no longer valid. The Parks Service did this (I think) in order to have someone maintain the structures, since they didn't have the staffing to do so. In exchange, those individuals/families could continue to use the facility. That wasn't always the policy, of course; there was a time when the lease ended that no offer to extend was granted, and those families ended their time on Isle Royale. It was a more recent realization that those histories were just as much a part of the IR legacy as the open pit mines, the traditional mines, and the other historical components of the area.
If the outcome of the CRMP is that these structures should be kept and maintained as long as possible, then perhaps IR Families might be invited back to participate in that endeavor - Or, perhaps, other groups and individuals may be invitied to 'adopt' a structure or island. I guess it somewhat depends on what the 'people' (you and I, and everyone else offering a comment) think is most important.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Midwest Ed: my take is that the CRMP is for the way forward...as in, the next 10 years or so (or whenever they want to do this again). However, it seems that the people running the show are willing to take the time and synthesize what has occurred in the past to make sure that they help everyone out in the future.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Unfortunately, Lake Effect snows prevented us (niners and I) from making the trip to Lansing for the 12/7 meeting.
We will be adding our comments on line.

John
DP89
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DP89 »

My friend and I (who have both been to IR) went to the East Lansing meeting a couple weeks ago.

There was a big snowstorm just before then, which may have affected the turnout, so there was barely anybody there. However we made a point to go and get involved, and it was very nice. There were about three people from the NPS there who were more than willing to discuss the Island. There were several maps and information screens around the room to lay out the cultural resources of IR.

They had information sheets about the Cultural Resources. I took one and filled it out in person and gave it back, giving some of my ideas and opinions (on things such as lighthouses, shipwrecks, and old structures). My friend filled out information online. I also went home and sent a couple of suggestions in from the NPS website. They got back to me within one day.

Even though not many people showed up, it was great to get involved with the NPS, and they were very happy to hear from Michigan residents about IR and what they value about it. The one thing they stressed was to go online and send in your suggestions, whether it be about the Cultural Resource plans or anything else, because they do read them and take them into account.
rudemark
NewbieCake

Post by rudemark »

To the best of my knowledge there have been no inholder "eviction" notices at this time although the language in the letters received from NPS last June by the permit holders was interpreted by some to be such, if not immediate then near future.
Maintenance of the historical inholder sites has in the past, and at this time still is, the responsibility of the permit or leaseholder, and as of this time there has been no indication that permits or leases will be extended to next generation family members, one of the issues the CRMP seeks to address is how present and future maintenance of these sites is to be accomplished. As many of you are probably aware, endeavors that flourished historically on Isle Royale and continued into the tenure of IRNP were commercial fishing, summer cottages, and tourism as represented by hotels and resorts. Each of these endeavors represent an important part of the cultural history of Isle Royale, and are represented by the inholdings on the island, and in my subjective opinion, deserve continued preservation.
Other endeavors which had historic impact on Isle Royale are logging and mining. Unfortunately, there is virtually no infrastructure left on the island to represent logging. As for mining, both historic and prehistoric, representative sites have survived and should be stabilized. Other posts on the forum have indicated that the island mine site is one of the "worst" camping sites on the island, which is unfortunate because in the 1950's, although there was no "campsite" there, [actually there were few if any designated back country campsites then], the minesite itself was quite open and a nice place to spend a night.
One hopes the CRMP will address such issues and that the Park Service attaches some priority to clearing, stabilizing and maintaining this and other sites for future visitors to enjoy.
It is also very important that NPS interpret historic endeavors with regard to conditions that existed at the time the endeavors took place. eg: when mining interests came to IR in the 1850's there were not 300 million people in the USA, the upper Midwest was virtually undeveloped, and the country was in the middle of an industrial revolution which required mierals such as copper. Better to portray the miners of the day as hard working individuals who sought to contribute to the needs of the day rather than as "rapers and pillagers" of the wilderness as has been done by NPS in the past.
In closing let me say that from an archaeologic point of view, once man has left his footprint on the land it remains virtually forever if you are willing to look hard enough, and every acre of IR has probably been trod upon at some point in its history. Look at IRNP for what it is, an island gem rich in cultural and natural history, conforming to the model of an International Biosphere Reserve [as it is designated], comprized of an interior of relatively undisturbed land surrounded by an area where man and biosphere interact. I encourage you to participate in the CRMP process, and to implore NPS to take steps to preserve and accurately represent the rich cultural history and sites of IRNP to the extent feasible for present and future visitors to enjoy.

MR