What happens in case of a Govt. shutdown?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

What happens in case of a Govt. shutdown?

Post by DonNewcomb »

Anyone know what will happen at I.R. in case of a Government shutdown?
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: What happens in case of a Govt. shutdown?

Post by Damon S »

Actually heard on them talking about it on the radio today. Said the Manitou Islands and Isle Royal would not be operating.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Something like this apparently happened at some point in the 90's. The government partially shutdown for 26 days, not sure how this affected the status of whether or not the parks remained open or closed. However, I believe Damon is correct and I believe this also was the case by in the day.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Btw, I did a little search for you. If you are interested in reading more about how this will affect national parks feel free to read more in depth on it here http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_ ... al_workers
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Well, looks like the crisis has be adverted, but it did make me wonder something: What if NPS (and others) were already out on the Isle? Would they ship them off? Authorize funds to bring them food and supplies? Seems there would be a life-safety issue at some point.

None the less, glad to know (no matter what your perspective of how it played out in Washington) that the park will be open and available to us this spring.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

During a shutdown in the Reagan Administration, my sis-in-law was a temporary volunteer caretaker in Horn Island, which is part of Gulf Islands Natl. Seashore.
mikehauptman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 13

Post by mikehauptman »

With the debt crises coming to a head, could this result in the closing of Isle Royale?
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

mikehauptman wrote:With the debt crises coming to a head, could this result in the closing of Isle Royale?
It's possible. Whenever there is a budget crisis the NPS gets tossed under the bus, even though the entire NPS budget wouldn't run DOD for a day.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

mikehauptman wrote:With the debt crises coming to a head, could this result in the closing of Isle Royale?
Probably not, as that would cost a lot of extra money. Basically the government would just have to decide which bills not to pay.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
chiefiepoo
NewbieCake

Post by chiefiepoo »

I guess they'd have to track us down with packs of dogs and spotters in helicopters. It would be fun trying to do some escape and evasion after all of these years. :lol: