Dreaming of Isle Roayle

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Dreaming of Isle Roayle

Post by DonNewcomb »

In Oklahoma at 108º F and dreaming of Isle Royale.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Dreaming of Isle Roayle

Post by Midwest Ed »

Can I commiserate with you? I was in Las Vegas all last week, but working. It was 111 degrees and all I brought home was a cold. I owe my wife a decent vacation this summer so no IR trip this year.

But I did talk her into renting a shoreline home or cabin on Lake Superior. Contacting various options in the Keweenaw this week.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I was heading to the family cabin on the South Shore of Superior (near the Apostles) on Friday. About five miles out from the big lake, the air temp was 98 degrees. It was HOT. In about five minutes, when we were near the lake, it was 57. Fastest drop of 41 degrees I'd ever seen... And it FELT. SO. GOOD.

Gotta love nature's air conditioning!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

A family cabin near the Apostle Islands sounds like a nice place to be. I'll bet you've had a lot of good times there over the years.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Really hot in humid today in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Temp has spiked at 78!
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Ed, Do you know about the Porcupine Mountains State Park offerings. Not the backcountry cabins but the Kaug Wudjoo Lodge - a modern Lodge House operated by State Park available for rent. And you know the Porkies give lots of opportunities for hiking.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

head2north wrote:Ed, Do you know about the Porcupine Mountains State Park offerings. Not the backcountry cabins but the Kaug Wudjoo Lodge - a modern Lodge House operated by State Park available for rent. And you know the Porkies give lots of opportunities for hiking.
I was not aware the Michigan State Park system had such rentals available. Thank you for pointing it out. Their accommodations look quite nice, although compared to the waterfront rental properties I've reviewed (I've looked at over 30 of them) the rate seems about 10% to 20% above average.

It looks like we've settled on a very quiet place on Torch Lake for early August. I'm hoping all we need to worry about are mosquitoes. I was told the black flies were light but late and almost gone now but the NoSeeUms are still pretty heavy. Should be gone by August I suspect. We'll have no problem filling up a week with a little fishing (maybe a big lake charter that makes a day trip out to Stannard Rock Lighthouse), biking and hiking, and just plain hanging out in Eagle River, Eagle Harbor, Copper Harbor, etc.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013