George Desort's next Documentary

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: George Desort's next Documentary

Post by johnhens »

Update#7:

I hope everyone is taking advantage of these last days of summer. I am on the computer more than the water, but am making steady progress on the ever-growing Fifty Lakes One Island project.

In addition to Beyond the Map and the book and film versions of Fifty Lakes One Island, I have hired a team of designers and programmers to develop an interactive website that will take users on an Isle Royale adventure of their own, exploring the island's many lakes, trails, and shorelines.

We plan on launching the website, book, and DVD mid-February when the Isle Royale wolf-moose Winter Study of 2013 commences. I will be posting more frequent video and photographic updates in the meantime. Thank you for your support and patience.

Safe adventures,
George
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Is it mid-February yet? :D :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Update #8 (2/5/2013):

"The first screening for Fifty Lakes One Island is scheduled for March 8th at 5:30pm at Canoecopia in Madison, WI. We look forward to sharing the first cut and receiving feedback before burning DVDs. Thanks for your patience and support."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I saw 50 Lakes Friday evening. I will say it is not a documentary in that he goes to each lake and narrates about each lake.
I was impressed with the film, I enjoyed insight into IR, George and his experience making the film.
I will be interested in what others say and think about the film. I don't want to say too much so as not to give it away.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

What's the latest?

Available for viewing for the unruly masses yet? :?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Is all of the air out of this balloon?

It's taking longer than we thought?

We're doing two things at once?

Just curious. :?: :?
Jim DuFresne
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I had an e-mail from Kickstarter asking for my address today (9/2). Looks like 50 Lakes will be going out soon to Kickstarter supporters.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Got the email today too. Hope that means it's mailed tomorrow :) . The wait is killing me!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I got the email as well. It's a pretty good flick...I got to preview it in Duluth this spring, and meet George. When I get the video, it should satiate my winter IR hunger...
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

My copy of 50 lakes arrived today.
k2one
NewbieCake

Post by k2one »

Received and watched the Fifty Lakes DVD. It was OK. Not what I had expected.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Apparently the DVD got here a few days ago, but my wife thought it was a birthday present someone sent me, so had hidden it :evil:. Finally got to watch it tonight :D (traveling 1000 miles or more to a screening hasn't been an option). Struck me as "Survivorman meets Isle Royale" without the survival part.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

k2one wrote:Received and watched the Fifty Lakes DVD. It was OK. Not what I had expected.
Where was it lacking and just "OK" in your opinion? I have not seen it yet, so I am not saying I disagree with you, but that I would like more insight on why you feel the way you do about the DVD. Thanks.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Rafiki wrote:
k2one wrote:Received and watched the Fifty Lakes DVD. It was OK. Not what I had expected.
Where was it lacking and just "OK" in your opinion? I have not seen it yet, so I am not saying I disagree with you, but that I would like more insight on why you feel the way you do about the DVD. Thanks.
I'm not k2one but Ingo's description comes pretty close to my reaction as well. I saw it at live screening in Chicago with George present and I did enjoy it but it was not what I expected. I guess I was hoping for something along the lines of a "trip report" documentary, highlighting many of the back country places that I'll never be able to visit.

Instead, it was kind of like Survivor-man meets Thoreau's Walden Pond. I think George intended to make something closer to what we would expect but things evolved and changed, maybe not until the editing room. It ended up being a circumspection of George and his feelings as he spent the weeks alone. The videography is really good but it's not presented in any sort of chronological order and there is hardly any narration that indicates locations.

Overall, it is a very good piece of work, just unexpected.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I understand completely. Ya, a trip report would have been sweet. An explanation on how he got to each of the sites and how difficult it was to navigate getting to each of the lakes would have provided some great perspective on those that are interested in doing such a thing or just hearing about someone doing such a thing. I also was hoping to to hear a subjective analysis given of each of the lakes based off of objective information that was gathered about each of the areas (Good or not a good place to back-country to, how is fishing, what wildlife experiences did you have at each of the locations, how was the water source and ease of getting water, nice place to paddle, worth carrying your watercraft to get to some of these places, does terrain provide ideal places to pitch a tent, how were the bugs, etc.) Not many of us do the whole backcountry scene of things on Isle Royale, and those that do seem to only go off the trail for a day or two and even that does not involve anything too crazy. I think some times this is because we are not certain of what we are getting ourselves into when entering the unexplored, and while that is excitement enough for a certain pool of people, I personally want to know ahead of time whether or not my investment to travel through thick brush and rough terrain is worth the efforts. The good news to be had out of all of this is, I am also the type to try to new things and avoid redoing the same paths on the island if there is something else that is left to be conquered. After 5 trips, I saw all of the foot trails and campgrounds. After my 6th trip, I had explored half of the canoe sites. On my upcoming 7th trip I hope to explore the majority of the half that still remain. On my 8th trip, I will probably want to re-witness some of my favorite sites and places on the island. However, somewhere along that 9th or 10th trip, I think its time to tear apart the island in a new way. Namely, backcountry hiking. Mark my words, if and when this does occur, I definitely plan to share my trials and tribulations as well as the beauty that goes unseen in many secluded areas. When the time does come, I want feedback from the members on here of where they would like to see me go and what information they would like me to collect on the way. Maybe I'll make my own DVD ;) Although, my camera skills and editing will not match those of the Great George Desort; this much can almost guaranteed. However, I think I could tell a pretty wicked tale. So ya, stay tuned.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)