New look for Park Service Website

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

New look for Park Service Website

Post by johnhens »

I was on the Park Service site this AM, it is sporting a new look.
http://www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: New look for Park Service Website

Post by hooky »

I like the new skin, but searches aren't working. Both the find a park link and search nps.gov just sit and spin for me.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I know they are working out some of the kinks still.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Lol I went to it earlier today before I heard you speak of this matter and was unsure if I initially went to their offical site at first :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I find it particularly interesting that virtually an entire page was devoted to the Ranger complete with links and complete info on the "Getting to the island wilderness" page and all the other transportation options are shoved to the right margin with tiny pictures, no links, no contact info, nothing, and not even a mention of the Sea Hunter. I never dreamed I would be in a business competing with the US Government and they get to make the rules. Seems if the visitors best interest was truly at heart they would make a better effort to inform them of something as important as transportation to Isle Royale.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I still think your the coolest person in the world Capt. Don and I haven't even meet you yet. I did have the pleasure of speaking with you about my July trip for this year today though. But ya, you are correct, you think they would be a little bit more imformative on everything :(
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Capt Don wrote:Seems if the visitors best interest was truly at heart they would make a better effort to inform them of something as important as transportation to Isle Royale.
This is interesting, and quite frankly, alarming. To the first-timer trying to plan and reading this page, they've essentially removed 50% of the transportation options, ultimately limiting peoples' options to get out to the island and maybe dissuading them from even trying.

Capt Don, would you be adverse to me contacting the NPS ISRO web master on behalf of the forums and request that they link back to your website?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hopefully they will put the links back in, and add the Sea Hunter. Hard to believe there's NO contact info whatsoever. Makes me wonder if there's a new NPS policy of not providing contact info to private companies on their site--which may make sense for some parks, but is absurd for I.R. since just getting there is dependent on private enterprise for many/most. I've generally found the NPS pages for any park to be limited, but if this is anything more than an oversight, it's definitely going backwards.

Some good news, Capt Don, when I did a couple different web searches on "Voyageur II" you came up first. "Sea Hunter" alone buries you, but "Sea Hunter Isle Royale" brings you to the top. Similarly for the Queen.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Capt Don
IR Pro

Post by Capt Don »

Coolest person in the world? Thanks but I think at least 99.999% percent of the earths' population would have to take issue with that statement. Richard, I did submit a message and was contacted by the park, thanks though.
John, you're right, all of the service providers come up pretty well and have relatively good exposure.
Last edited by Capt Don on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

OK, DON'T PANIC! (it's technical)

I emailed the park service and got a quick reply. Bottom line is that it's all supposed to be there, and will be worked out. At the moment the I.R. staff cannot edit or update their own site. Apparently getting the new site up (across all parks) is not going as smoothly as it might and it may be a week or 2 before it's all settled.

In part:
"It was a goal of mine to make it easier to find the transportation services and the Rock Harbor
Lodge - links were created at the bottom of the home page and links were
created on the Transportation Page to direct the visitor to each ferry
service's website. This was working fine last week and for some reason
when the new format went on-line the Sea Hunter was lost and all the links
to the companies websites were omitted."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Capt Don
IR Pro

Post by Capt Don »

No panic, just irritated, not at the folks at I.R. though, rather the government web people after the park level.
I received a call from the park regarding this and it was indeed technical as you indicated, they explained, appologised, and are contacting the other providers as well. It will help the visitors to some degree to at least have the links back on the page. I am happy that it will be updated.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Capt Don wrote:No panic, just irritated...
Understood and sympathize.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

They're definitely working out the kinks. I followed one link at got HTML. I don't speak HTML. I'm sure they're working on it.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

The NPS has done kind of a cross the board chnge in the look of the Parksites web page. The problems that showed up on the IR NPS site were not unique to IR and the problems are being addressed. It sounds like it is not a local issue rather a Washington issue.
Ingo already covered this, thanks John!!!
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Apparently, all the bugs are not worked out yet. The NPS was not aware the 2012 Greenstone was not showing up as well as other issues that were fixed.