HOLY MOLY!!!

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

HOLY MOLY!!!

Post by NancyT »

After the better part of four days (work got in the way), I have completely read every single post on the forum.
There is a lot of information on here. I am proud to be here with you all.

I get most of my information from my well experienced Husband, and from editing his book about eight hundred times, but still, I’ve learned a thing or two on here.

I enjoyed the banter between the “regulars” (I’m a former bartender of 22 years, hence the term), which made me wonder what has happened to a few of them…Nick, Moss13, Trailgoat, and a few others. I really enjoyed the fun natured teasing between you all. I found myself getting ready to reply to a post and then realized the post was from 2008 or the like.

The picture section is phenomenal, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The trip reports were awesome and the longest to get through of course, and I have to admit that I saved Rafiki’s TR for last, as I knew it would be very…very long…lol. I laughed so hard I about pee’d my pants! Great writing Tim!

Mike has added some of his journals to his website and is in the process of combining both of ours into one. It is a very time consuming process and the perfectionist that he is, and having over a thousand (literally) pictures to sort through, I’m not sure the journals from my first trip will ever be done, actually it almost is. It should be completed just in time for us to take yet another trip to the island, leaving four more trip journals to get combined. Ohhhh to be the wife of an author…. I guess I can’t complain too much, as I haven’t gotten my journal from our spring trip in the computer yet, as I’m still wrapping up our fall trip from last year.

Mike is the quiet one in this relationship and I’m sure I will get the, ever so often experienced, raised eyebrow and a shake of the head when he reads this. I feel like I know all of you so well. In a way I guess we all do, as we share the core of Isle Royale together.

I have this in my journal, but just to give you a little background, I had never slept in a tent, hiked, or put on a backpack until I met Mike, and like so many here, one trip was all it took and I was hooked!

There are a few members here that I have met in person already (Capt. Don of course, Tom on my very first boat ride out, Bucket Bob, alecto), but it would be nice to see all of you on the trail someday!

Happy Trailing Everyone!!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: HOLY MOLY!!!

Post by Rafiki »

After the better part of four days (work got in the way), I have completely read every single post on the forum.
You just gave me a new goal. While I don't know if I will be able to pull it off in 4 days, I'm going to shoot to accomplish reading all of the post by the end of July. I bet you I could learn a lot throughout the process.
what has happened to a few of them…Nick, Moss13, Trailgoat, and a few others.
Ya. It weird how there used to be some people who were consistently on here only to disappear all of a sudden one day. I guess life gets busy at times and this forum is a luxury some people cannot afford to spend time at during various spans of time when other things have their hands tied. I'm sure most of them with return as time passes.
The trip reports were awesome and the longest to get through of course, and I have to admit that I saved Rafiki’s TR for last, as I knew it would be very…very long…lol. I laughed so hard I about pee’d my pants! Great writing Tim!
Ya I got a little carried way :oops: :D Thanks for the kind words.
Mike has added some of his journals to his website and is in the process of combining both of ours into one.
I've been meaning to check out his time and see what books you have out. I pay a visit this weekend.
There are a few members here that I have met in person already (Capt. Don of course, Tom on my very first boat ride out, Bucket Bob, alecto), but it would be nice to see all of you on the trail someday!
Agreed. The only person I met out of the ones you mentioned was Bucket Bob. He has some stories to share as I am sure you know. Very interesting guy. I'd love to meet alecto. He seems very creative with his backpacking equipment ideas. I will be meeting Capt. Don in September. Tom...I'd love to pick his brain. He is super friendly and very helpful...funny too. And who knows, maybe in September we'll cross paths or see each other on the boat.

On a side note, I am completely thrilled that you joined the forums Nancy. You have already been very helpful and kind to me. I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing you around the forums more :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

I would advise you to take your time reading the whole board. Four days was a bit much, but I was on a mission.
Day one...fine, day two...had to zoom in to 125%, day three...had to zoom to 125% plus put on reading glasses, day four....the same but every where I looked I saw words.

To update, our Spring 2010 journals have been completed and turned into PDF. I'm not sure when Mike will have the time to add it to his website.
On a side note, I am completely thrilled that you joined the forums Nancy. You have already been very helpful and kind to me. I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing you around the forums more
Thank you! I've been lurking for a long time, just didn't post until recently for fear of the raised eyebrow and shake of the head.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

:mrgreen:
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

LMAO! That was classic Hooky!!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

Rafiki wrote:I'd love to me alecto. He seems very creative with his backpacking equipment ideas.
You realize I'm in the NW suburbs right? I work in Oak Brook. Photosean is right up in Kenosha. I smell a weekend trip...
|| Jess ||
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

You realize I'm in the NW suburbs right? I work in Oak Brook. Photosean is right up in Kenosha. I smell a weekend trip...
No I did not realize that. Sweet! I go to the REI there occasionally and Wildfire Restaurant for dinner :) But thats besides the point...did I hear something about weekend trip?!? Count me in. Start throwing out some places and weekends. Photosean, if your out there reading this, you smelling this weekend trip in the air too? :lol:
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

I was wanting to do a two-nighter in the Porkies with nights at Little Carp and Mirror Lake in early fall...
|| Jess ||
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Considering that I will be going back to Island from 9/8-9/23, early fall would not work too well for me. Middle fall would be better for me. Like at the end of October. Not sure if that would work at all for you, but keep me posted :)