Going Solo

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

BestDayEver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Going Solo

Post by BestDayEver »

Hey All,

It looks like life is getting in the way for the friends I have that would actually partake in a trip to the Island, but since I have been there before, the urge to return has taken over. I went with a couple friends in August '10 and kayaked around from RH to Richie and back. This time I am looking to travel by foot on a 4-5 day trip. I'd be starting out at RH again and likely going one of the last two weeks in August.

I am nearing the point where I need to make a decision to go or figure out something else to do with my time off. So, for any of you that have solo hiked IR I am interested in your experiences, suggestions, pros, cons, etc., for a solo IR trip. Since it will be during the busy time, one major concern I have is staying in the shelters and tent sites and how that usually works out with other groups.

Thanks in advance for any insight you are willing to share.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Going Solo

Post by Ingo »

My only solo trip was a short one doing the Huginnin loop at the other end. With 4-5 days you could do the Feldtmann loop, which I haven't done, but will likely be my next solo trip. If the seaplane cost isn't prohibitive, I'd look at that possibility. As far as being busy, hike early, camp early, and share :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Ingo wrote:hike early, camp early, and share
I totally concur with Ingo.

My last 3 trips to Isle Royale have been solo, and have been documented in the "Trip Reports" subforum. All were 6 days and 5 nights, departing on the Voyager II from Grand Portage, MN. The beauty of utilizing the Voyager II is that it can drop you off at various places around the island and then pick you up at a different location. No back-tracking required for those shorter hiking trips.

In addition, most of your hiking will be done in solitude. You will meet interesting people on the trail en route and at the campsites in the evening. The western end of the island sees less visitors; you might find more solitude there during the busy season.

Have fun!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I agree with everything said before and would encourage you to try it. I have always found solo hiking to be very rewarding. It is a different experience. You do not have to worry about others. I have never tried it during the "busy" season and that does change things a bit, but I am sure you will find it will work out. The other thought (which I think I personally would consider and do when solo), is consider backcountry camping. That is the ultimate in solo hiking.

Hope your trip works out!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

If you have a chance, check out my Trip Report from earlier this year in May http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtop ... f=8&t=1821 While it does not solely focus only on what is was like taking my first solo trip ever, there are many references about how if differed compared to going with my girlfriend. I will tell you that I will probably never take a solo trip again in the early or late points in the season. While it is nice to be completely away from people for a couple of days, I'd prefer not to be away from people for almost a week straight. Therefore, going during a busier time in the season would still allow me to socialize with people, which is something I enjoy doing from time to time on my trips to the island because most (actually all so far) of the people I encounter are truly wonderful people.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

I.R. is not like some places, where it is downright foolish to go solo. On most routes you will meet lots of other hikers who will be ready to help you if you get into a jam. Just be sure to invite others to share your shelter.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Out of curiousity what places do you have in mind that would be outright foolish to go on a solo mission?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Rafiki wrote:Out of curiousity what places do you have in mind that would be outright foolish to go on a solo mission?
Millwaukee, Chicago, Vegas, New York, Miami (done all of these solo by the way) Lauderdale, Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis... you get the idea. I would worry more being solo in any metro area far more than any wilderness area. :wink:
BestDayEver
NewbieCake

Post by BestDayEver »

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I haven't put much thought into the West end, but I think I'll give it a look. My main attraction to the other side is the inland lakes as I hope to get some solid fishing in, even if its wading or from shore. I soloed a few days in the Porkies last year, didn't see many people and I am also thinking that IR might be a better solo choice when it comes to that. I have no problem sharing shelters, I am just hoping others would do the same. And I agree drobarge, I have to solo Chicago every day.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Rafiki wrote:Out of curiousity what places do you have in mind that would be outright foolish to go on a solo mission?
Most of Alaska...
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Where in Chicago are you from fellow Chicagoan?
BestDayEver
NewbieCake

Post by BestDayEver »

SW burbs, Palos area. You?
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

N Burbs Skokie borders Chicago. I know the Palos area. My girlfriend lives in the Tinley Park area :)
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

Used to frequent the Palos area when I was a mountain biker and did a little trail work at the preserve for CAMBr. I'm out by Elgin/Algonquin. I'm pretty much always solo, twice at IR. I say go for it.
|| Jess ||