The passing of Gerry Olive

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

The passing of Gerry Olive

Post by MikeT »

I am sad to pass along the news of the passing of Gerry Olive. I think a few of you knew him and/or ran into him on your journeys to the island. He was very often on the first boat and spent a lot of time on the island. Personally, I considered him a friend and enjoyed some good island moments and discussions about the island with him. The following was sent to me yesterday by Robert Seeber:

"I was informed earlier this afternoon that Gerry Olive was found deceased at his home on Tuesday. Mail was accumulating and a health and welfare check was done, then finding him. My understanding (albeit secondhand) is the Medical Examiner determined it to be heart failure. I believe he was 61. I am told there should be an obit in the Milw. paper in the near future. jsonline.com If there's other ISRO types that I've missed and should be apprised, feel free to forward this. I'm sure he touched us all in his own way."

I have attached a picture of him.
Attachments
Gerry on the back of the Voyaguer II.  Fall, 2009
Gerry on the back of the Voyaguer II. Fall, 2009
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
terreholada
NewbieCake

Re: The passing of Gerry Olive

Post by terreholada »

Mike,

My name is Terre and I am married to Bob. Gerry and Bob have been friends for maybe 35 years. Gerry was the best man at our wedding 26 years ago. I would think that Gerry probably mentioned Bob once or twice.

Can you please email me? Gerry's son has not given us any information other than Gerry passed.

Thank you.

And thank you for this post. Isle Royale was precious to Gerry and he spoke of it many many many times!

Terre
budducci
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by budducci »

Gerry was a nice guy, and I was happy to spend time with him several times on the island. I fondly remember him getting applause when we got of the boat in Grand Portage as he got his tent back. He had dropped it on the boat getting off at McCargoe and hiked all the way to Chippewa in one day. He took it in stride and had a great time.

I last saw him at McCargoe Cove last spring (2011). I was hiking through and chatted with him for a couple hours before moving along. He had made himself quite a home in one of the shelters and was having a good time kayaking and fishing.
terreholada
NewbieCake

Post by terreholada »

Yes, we would appreciate some more information.

Gerry loved Isle Royale and asked Bob and our son, Sam, to join him several times.
Bucket Bob
NewbieCake

Post by Bucket Bob »

Terre Holada,
Just sent a personal message your way via this board.
Robert Seeber aka "Bucket Bob"