Grand Portage communications soon to move into the 21st cent

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Grand Portage communications soon to move into the 21st cent

Post by Capt Don »

Hi all, here is an excerpt from the Cook Co News Herald regarding cell service.

"Cell phone service coming to Grand Portage
Jane Howard
At long last, Grand Portage is going to have cell phone service. On November 20, the county board approved contracts with Grand Portage and New Cingular Wireless for a county owned tower to be constructed on Grand Portage tribal land.
New Cingular Wireless will pay for the construction of the tower and in exchange will pay no rent during a lease of 25 years. "

While this may not be good news to all, and I understand there can be some cool things about being "technologically isolated", it will sure make some things easier for many. I suspect the west side of the island will now have service without the roaming aspects of Canadian towers. I know of a lot of groups, scout groups, summer camps and the like that were always concerned about emergency communications if needed that will now be relieved. I'm thinking the sat phone at Windigo will probably gather some dust. Our communications between the boats and the office wil be greatly enhanced as a result.
For those of us that can't yet stomach the thought of technology on the island, well, just leave the phones on the mainland.

We just sent our rate and schedule proposal to the park for approval. The proposal included a $0 increase for passenger fare for 2013. Let's hope fuel prices stabilize or preferrably drop so we can keep Isle Royale a great vacation value.

Capt. Don
Last edited by Capt Don on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Grand Portage communications soon to move into the 21st

Post by Ingo »

Capt Don wrote:The proposal included a $0 increase for passenger fare for 2013. Let's hope fuel prices stabilize or preferrably drop so we can keep Isle Royale a great vacation value.
You're a good man Capt Don! And thanks for the cell info.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The rate thing is all great news. Thank you very much for sharing.

As far as the cell phone tower goes, I'm indifferent. I think with Isle Royale, the people who visit there are smart enough and kind enough to shut off their phone while in the backcountry. If it was Yellowstone or Yosemite, however, I'd probably hear the iPhone ringtone 1,000 times over...
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

That is good news, thanks Don!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Good news about price stabilization from Capt Don. With the lack of posts here recently, I was wondering about people’s whereabouts. Good to hear from everyone. As far a technology advancing on the Island, I’m still wishing for permanent internet service so we can have a Washington Creek Moose Cam. :D
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Ed I thought the moose and wolves had their cameras up and were watching us already. (Therefore they hide when we come hiking near them.) Of course their system would probably be a closed circuit and not needing internet service.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Cingular? Isn't that ATT now?