Feldtmann Firetower Status?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Feldtmann Firetower Status?

Post by srparr »

Does anyone know the current status of the Feldtmann firetower? The backcountry plan suggests that it will be taken down, but does not give a date.

I'd love to climb it and enjoy the view again before it get's taken down, assuming they implement this part of the plan. Has anyone heard anything official on this subject?
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Feldtmann Firetower Status?

Post by Nym90 »

Google is mum on the topic, except for a reference to the possibility of its removal in the IR backcountry plan that you mentioned.

While I can see the benefit of removing the tower in terms of returning the Island to a more pristine natural state, I don't feel that its presence detracts enough from this aspect of the Island to negate the benefits of leaving it intact.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

There was discussion of leaving it in place as a base for communication equipment for the NPS .
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

johnhens wrote:There was discussion of leaving it in place as a base for communication equipment for the NPS .
Which is a perfect use for it. I don't understand how taking this tower down is going to make the park any more wild when there are three small towns on the island.