Article about the last days of the Bounty: Why she went down

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Article about the last days of the Bounty: Why she went down

Post by johnhens »

Good informative article about issues that contributed to the sinking of the Bounty during hurricane Sandy.
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... tml?page=1
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Article about the last days of the Bounty: Why she went

Post by bergman »

A really nice piece of writing. The comments posted on the story make for good reading as well.

Quite illuminating was the fact that the state-of-the-art emergency canister rafts did not have any sort of bailer included, much to the alarm of the survivors who occupied 2 of the rafts. It got me thinking that when I am out in my canoe, I am going to make sure to tie my bailer on to a thwart, using a light rope. By using a modified minutemaid (3qt?) orange juice container, i can tie off to the container handle.

A sponge is nice to get rid of the last bit of water, but you gotta have a container that can move a ton of water in a hurry, and one-handed at that. A kayak bilge pump will require 2 hands, unless you're holding it between your legs. If you are using a sponge, you have to wring it with 2 hands, which means not only are both of your feet in the cold Superior water, but both hands are immersed as well. You won't last too long if your hands are bare, so full-finger neoprene gloves are best.