"Sequester" impact for Isle Royale

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: "Sequester" impact for Isle Royale

Post by drobarge »

I'll elaborate more later but someone is at my door!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Prohibit all due to the actions of one. :roll:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

You're right. Alcohol ban ("no alcohol allowed") is no longer a descriptor of any campground in the Greenstone's centerfold campground list. That's good. Seemed odd that you can spend all sorts of $ for a park trip, and then have to look over your shoulder as u crack open a beer.

Yea, I was thinking Chippewa used to have an alcohol ban, as i know back in 2000, NPS had decided they were going to close the hiking trail to Chip (the one backpackers must use; the segment of the Indian portage trail was to remain open so paddlers could still access Chip from Richie). They had a sign posted on the Lake Richie trail that announced the planned closure beginning with the 2001 season. I guess they changed their mind, which is a good thing. Hard to believe that backpackers would be deprived the chance of seeing Chippewa. NPS probably realized that closing Chippewa to hikers would only make matters worse for boaters and hikers elsewhere on the island.

Evidently, hikers and power boaters would sometimes come to fisticuffs over shelter occupancy at Chippewa Harbor. So i just assumed Chip had a ban as well, but i was wrong. The 4 shelters there can "go" pretty quickly.
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

Interesting info, Bergman. I wonder how they were planning to go about closing the trail. It seems preposterous to me to go to the trouble and expense of constructing signs or, even worse, a fence barricading it.

Perhaps they were simply going to cease maintaining and clearing it; I agree that would have been incredibly shortsighted. But unless an exemption to the park rule allowing bushwhacking anywhere on the island was to be created, it still would have been permissible to follow the trail.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Back to the Sequester...

A PS ranger is claiming his Supervisors are instructing them to cut services the public would notice. Story here.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

The USDA got busted for basically pushing the same narrative internally.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -promised/
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

Tom wrote:Should the much reported 'sequester' of federal funding take place, all NPS Park Superintendents are required to report what they would do to make up the budget shortage. For IR, closing Amygdaloid and Malone Ranger stations would occur, along with numerous interpretive change.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are does "sequesters" that you have been talking to? I haven't heard about it since then, but I have the urge to report them if they are causing some certain disturbance in the lake.
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

naomiswanson wrote: Sorry for my ignorance, but what are does "sequesters" that you have been talking to? I haven't heard about it since then, but I have the urge to report them if they are causing some certain disturbance in the lake.
Not sure I fully follow the question, but perhaps this will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequester_(2013)
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

Tampico wrote: A PS ranger is claiming his Supervisors are instructing them to cut services the public would notice.
I can't help but think this could be true. Given all the things the NPS coordinates on IR alone, it seemed peculiar that a 5% cut would be so draconian to so many areas: Seasonal workers, mid-Island rangers, and even cancelling Greg Blust's visit to talk at Canoecopia. It would appear things were designed to "sting" so that the public would uproar.
Don't get me wrong, nobody wants to have their budget cut, but I would think that 5% could be absorbed to SOME degree without such noticeable impact, unless, like this article states, it was designed to gain political leverage.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Tom wrote:
Tampico wrote: A PS ranger is claiming his Supervisors are instructing them to cut services the public would notice.
...unless, like this article states, it was designed to gain political leverage.
My thoughts after reading those articles; more of the same for the next four years, "playing games".

Perhaps, every member of the federal senate and the house, should be brought to
Isle Royale after Labor day. No problems with consecutive nights stays that way. :lol:

Tell them they might return, to the mainland, after they complete the budget, debt ceiling, tax reform, etc.
That's providing they finish up before the Ranger goes in for service.
No phone service, internet, TV, nothing, until they accomplish something other than, when their next raise in compensation goes into effect.
Tarps, cook stoves, and filters for all!!! :twisted:

Isle Royale Rocks!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

I say make them (Congressional members) BOIL all of their drinking water, using sterno. :-)

Cancelling Greg Blust's talk (scheduled for today?, in Madison) @ Canoecopia, confirms that the NPS is shooting itself in the foot, or cutting off their nose to spite their face.

It doesn't make any sense!!! Greg would be inspiring parents to bring their kids to the park, given his unbridled enthusiasm for and vast expertise on Isle Royale. Even if the parents don't bite, he plants the seed in the hearts and minds of the next generation that gets to hear his presentation and ask questions/ view materials at the IR booth.

It's not brain science to realize that his presence at Canoecopia translates directly into increased revenues for the park. What the heck is going on?

When Winter Study ran out of firewood, i was tempted to post something about feeling the effects of sequestration already (before it officially began). I refrained, out of respect for the scientific team, and the personal sacrifices that they make, notwithstanding the fact that they love doing it. The month of February was probably one of the coldest on record. I know my own fuel bill was out of sight.

It's too bad we couldnt have funded Greg's Canoecopia gig.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

bergman wrote:It's too bad we couldnt have funded Greg's Canoecopia gig.
We probably could have, if we'd have known early enough.
sunsetman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Post by sunsetman »

Yes. On the Boat/Dock party issue.
The issues were years ago. I happened following a cut back of rangers. It was at Siskiwit Bay and I encountered it several times. It was just a comment in passing. Meaning nothing today I would hope. I have stayed in every water access campground except for Merritt and Duncan Narrrows and have shared many good times with boaters, kayakers and canoeist.
Again it was years ago with boat/dock parties.
As to the real question. Any financial cuts to the budget at Isle Royale is a poor choice. Surely there are many other more appropriate choices.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

This is from an article in today's Detroit News. Quoting Phyllis Green:

"By delaying maintenance and work at parks, the future costs could actually be higher than the money being saved, said Phyllis Green, superintendent of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior.

"It's like if you have a leaking roof. You can maybe put off fixing it for a year, but after that point the costs are going to start adding up," said Green.

She says the staff will be able to accommodate the cuts this summer by closing two remote ranger emergency stations and two historical sites, and delaying work on water treatment and telecommunications for the island. But any further cuts will start to put a strain on park services, Green said.

"Next year, if there is another 5 percent cut, we'll definitely have to have a discussion with the public about what they want from the park," she said. "The parks are open now and maybe they should take a look and see what the value is, so they can decide what they want for the future and if this is something that is important to them."

Full article here:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... |FRONTPAGE
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Tampico wrote:
bergman wrote:It's too bad we couldnt have funded Greg's Canoecopia gig.
We probably could have, if we'd have known early enough.
IRKPA was paying for the NPS to be at Canoecopia this year including lodging, transportation, meals ect. All travel had to be approved from the Regional NPS person. (IR's people had nothing to do with him not being there). I don't know their justification for this as it was not costing the NPS directly. His request for travel was not approved.