Canoecopia and IRKPA

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Canoecopia and IRKPA

Post by johnhens »

I thought the good folks here might be interested in Canoecopia this year with all the has happened with the Sequester ect.
First of all a BIG thanks to IRKPA who funded the attendance of the NPS this year. This happened before the whole sequester issue occured. The NPS was not going to fund attendance at Canoecopia, which is by far the most exposure IR gets all year as far as show attendance. In the past as many as 20k people will attend the 3 day event in Madison. Due to budget cuts, funding for attending Canoecopia was not available. IRKPA found out about this and stepped up to fund the costs for IR to be there. IRKPA does a lot for the NPS for IR, more than a lot of us know. When the sequester hit, the NPS was told to slash 5% off its budget. I would prefer to not get into a debate here about the sequester. There are other forums where folks sit around and argue all day about the Dems vs GOP, the Gov't ect. One of the things I like about this forum is that the subjects that come up are about IR or related to IR in some way.

As part of the sequester, travel for NPS people has to now have approval from the Regional office. They did not have time to evaluate the merrits of Greg being at Canoecopia. One of the volunteers agreed to meet up with Greg in Northern WI and transfer the set, materials ect for Canoecopia to his van and bring it down to Madison when he came down Friday. The booth was staffed by volunteers, folks who like the people here, love IR. That is the basic story, and trust me if there was any way possible for Greg to be there, he would have. I am always impressed with the generousity of the folks here when to comes to the forum ect. I know Greg reads this forum as do other IR Park staff, and he will be thrilled with the thought of offering to fund attendance at Canoecopia.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

!

Post by Ingo »

Thanks for the update John! Well said. And Thanks to you for all of your volunteer efforts!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Canoecopia and IRKPA

Post by fonixmunkee »

People loyal to IR stepping up in times like this is just another example of why I love the place. You don't get to backpack a remote wilderness with a bunch of swell guys and gals every day.

And hearing that IRKPA stepped up makes me proud to donate yearly to them. I'm glad to see my money going to a good cause.