any volunteers?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

brownshoes
NewbieCake

any volunteers?

Post by brownshoes »

Has anyone here volunteered a summer on Isle Royale before?

I'm interested in volunteering next summer and curious as to how competitive different positions might be. I am also curious to hear anything anyone would be willing to share about their experience volunteering.

Cheers
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: any volunteers?

Post by jrwiesz »

I sent in the volunteer application this season.
I applied for trail maintainer, Nat Resources tech, Backcountry camp host, Wilderness/backcountry ranger; I called Houghton to be assured they received my app.
I was assured they did receive it. Haven't heard a word since.
Perhaps with the sequester, there are less called to participate?
I don't know for sure; but, I am definitely disappointed with the "no call".
I think it is one of those, "who you know", and not a "what you know", type chance at getting chosen?
Just my experience so far, no luck.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
brownshoes
NewbieCake

Post by brownshoes »

hm. well, that's a little bit discouraging, hopefully you'll hear something. let me know if you do and remember to.

I was thinking at least trail crew would be not so competitive, but perhaps there are more people out there willing to bust their a$$ for free than I first imagined.....

good luck
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

Just got back from IR.
During Leave no trace talk it was mentioned that there are only 4 trail crew members this year.
MMMMM
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Sure Buzz with still be leading that crew ;)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)