What is the youngest...

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

minneapolisguy34
NewbieCake

What is the youngest...

Post by minneapolisguy34 »

I had my heart set on going for my first time this year. Then I found out my GF was preganant!! She had our son in January. Needless to say this years plans are on hold.
My question is what is the youngest you would recomend to visit? I love to fish, my original plan was to leave GP. Get dropped off at McCargo Cove and work my way to Chippewa harbor. Fishing as much as possible. Now those plans are out the window for a while. I think day hiking and getting picked up via the Voyageur II is the best option I can think of for now.

I have been following this site for a long time, There are some real role models on here!! I am looking for opinions on what you think would be best for next summer with a 1.5 year old???
Or wait until he gets older. If so what age would you recomend?
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: What is the youngest...

Post by jrwiesz »

Congratulations on your new son. 8)

If one can afford staying at the lodge, I don't see why you cannot visit when you please; even this season.

Day hikes out of the lodge, are not all that bad.

If you have a lodge room to use, one could plan to stay in a shelter, as a trial with the baby, and still have a room to bail to, if it doesn't work out.

This all provided your son is, in general, "healthy" to begin with.

Man used to raise our offspring in caves, we are the first animals domesticated. Staying in a pre-made shelter, should be viewed as a bonus! :shock:

Your son most likely won't complain; it's getting your GF to agree. :wink:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: What is the youngest...

Post by Keweenaw »

jrwiesz wrote:Congratulations on your new son. 8)

If one can afford staying at the lodge, I don't see why you cannot visit when you please; even this season.

Day hikes out of the lodge, are not all that bad.

If you have a lodge room to use, one could plan to stay in a shelter, as a trial with the baby, and still have a room to bail to, if it doesn't work out.

This all provided your son is, in general, "healthy" to begin with.

Man used to raise our offspring in caves, we are the first animals domesticated. Staying in a pre-made shelter, should be viewed as a bonus! :shock:

Your son most likely won't complain; it's getting your GF to agree. :wink:
A cheaper yet comfy option are the new cabins at Windigo. $49.95 per night.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather