Solo Hiking- First trip to IR Rock Harbor Loop

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

chardae
NewbieCake

Solo Hiking- First trip to IR Rock Harbor Loop

Post by chardae »

Good Evening,

I am looking into planning a trip early this summer (Mid June) to IR solo. I have had a fair amount of backpacking experience, yet have not been on a trip since 2012 (porcupine mountains). I am a 25 year old woman. I am looking at completing the Rock Harbor loop, while taking an extra day, expanding to 7 nights instead of six. Any advice on how to expand this trip? Advice for being on the trail alone?

Also am debating, I have a 2- man tent or I have a Hammock with a mosquito net and tarp? Advice? Obviously hammock takes up less space and weight?

Thank you so much for advice :)
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Solo Hiking- First trip to IR Rock Harbor Loop

Post by Tightlines01 »

Welcome. Sounds like you'll have a great trip. A few things re: your requested feedback.

Expanding the trip: 7 nights would be a great number, you can see lots of great spots. One thing I've started enjoying is a rest day where you don't hike and you can always change your itinerary so you don't have to hike in heavy rain. Depending on how you arrive will affect how much time you'll have the first day you hike, here's a possible trip I'd consider...
Lane cove
Daisy Farm
McCargoe Cove
Chippewa Harbor
Moskey Basin
Moskey Basin (zero day)
3 mike
Rock Harbor (shower, meal, day hike the Stoll trail).

Solo hiking...
Take your time while hiking. There should be other people come through, but the trails will be much more sparse that time of year. The two biggest things to keep in mind are water (it can be hard to get at times like when on the greenstone ridge) and footing. There are lots of roots and rocks sticking out of the trail making footing a challenge. It's very easy to roll an ankle or twist a knee if your not careful with your steps. It sounds like you have some backpacking experience, just be smart and careful especially if it's raining out.

Shelter.
If they are both in good order (for storms and rain) it wouldn't matter much IMO. I don't know the difference in weight but my hammock tarp combo isn't much less weight than my (nice) tent, but is about 3# less than my older tent. Many places you could likely find a spit for a hammock in the campground. Worst case you can still likely bivy it on the ground. Many of the campgrounds on the east end of the island will have shelters where you can stay instead of the tent or hammock. I've never taken my hammock and always brought the tent due in case of storms as it would provide a bit better cover IMO.

Do some research, be careful and prepared and you'll have a great time.

Andy
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I like the suggestion of 2 days at Moskey and seeing Scoville Point on the last day. We took a tent on our trip. But if I was solo, I'd probably take my hammock. I just sleep better in it than I do on the ground anymore.
chardae
NewbieCake

Post by chardae »

Thank you for all of the advice, :)

Right now my planned itinerary is:

1-Rock Harbor: Travel to Lane Cove

2-Lane Cove to Daisy Farm

3-Daisy Farm to Chickenbone (Any suggestions on East or West?)

4- Rest day/ Day hike to McCargoe

5a- Moskey Basin 5b-Chipewa Harbor

6a- 3 mile campground then day hike up to Lookout Louise 6b Mokey Basin

7a-- Rock Harbor than day hike out to lookout louise 7b- 3 mile

8a- hang around Rock Harbor Ferry Leaves at 2:45 8b- hike back to Rock Harbor/ shower before ferry at 2:45

Thoughts on the route options past day 5?

Also does anyone have any insight on the insects in Mid June. I know the Black Flies can be pretty terrible around pictured rocks, how are they on IR?

Thank you :)
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

charade wrote:........Also does anyone have any insight on the insects in Mid June. I know the Black Flies can be pretty terrible around pictured rocks, how are they on IR?....
Expect a lot of bugs come mid-June. Black Flies, mosquitoes will have just hatched and will be doing their thing. Maybe not too bad along the Lake Superior coast, where it will be cooler and windier, but inland, expect the worst.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Chickenbone WEST, definitely. East is probably regarded as the "worst" campground on the island and requires a hike for water.

I'd recommend a hike to Scoville Pt if you're in R.H. your last night. Very nice and pretty easy trail.

We were in Pictured Rocks the last week of June last year and just about got carried away by skeeters and occasionally flies. Then on Isle Royale where they were still bad, but not quite so much.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dbarnes85
NewbieCake

Post by dbarnes85 »

You'll have a great trip. I would go with the tent over the hammock. It still gets pretty chilly at night on lake superior. Plus if you get rain I can't imagine being stuck in a hammock would be very pleasant.

I definately recommend the 7th night. You'll notice that a lot of people will be there 5 nights and that will allow you to break free from the pack a bit and take a road a little less traveled.

So here is would I would do:

1. Daisy's Farm. Lots of shelters which is nice. Wake up early there is an awesome sun rise.

2. Lake Richie

3. McCargo Cove. Make sure you get here early and give yourself time to explore the Minong Mine. Bring a flashlight. There is a 45 or so foot horizontal mine shaft that you can walk into that's pretty neat.

4. Todd Harbor. Probably one of my favorite camp sites.

5. Chicken bone.

6. Moskey Basin. Good Star gazing out on the rocks.

7. 3 mile. I would stay your last night in 3 mile. It is an easy hike into Rock Harbor to catch the queen the next morning. Take the tobin harbor trail, it is a much more pleasant hike.

This should get you to some really nice campsites with some cool things to explore. Make sure you bring deet, the flies will be pretty bad.

Have fun!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

The hammock is debatable. The issue is that you are required to camp within a designated rectangular camp site. Most of these sites were made for tents and do not have trees conveniently placed for hammocks.

Rock Harbor Trail can be a bit discouraging. It's pretty but there are some rock scrambles along the way. Much better to take Rock Harbor Trail back into Rock Harbor where you will be motivated by the knowledge that a cold beer awaits at the end of the trail.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

DonNewcomb wrote:The hammock is debatable. The issue is that you are required to camp within a designated rectangular camp site. Most of these sites were made for tents and do not have trees conveniently placed for hammocks.

Rock Harbor Trail can be a bit discouraging. It's pretty but there are some rock scrambles along the way. Much better to take Rock Harbor Trail back into Rock Harbor where you will be motivated by the knowledge that a cold beer awaits at the end of the trail.
I ran from three mile to rock and back in 82 minutes to pick up 18 beers last weekend :)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

drobarge wrote: I ran from three mile to rock and back in 82 minutes to pick up 18 beers last weekend :)
Ok, the first half doesn't impress me. Many can run from Three Mile to Rock Harbor on any day. The second half, though, congrats. I have no idea how when you didn't get to downing about the 12th beer, you just didn't decide to sleep it off at Suzy's Cave.... :wink:
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

drobarge wrote:
I ran from three mile to rock and back in 82 minutes to pick up 18 beers last weekend :)
That's awesome.

Nothing like the proper motivation. :mrgreen:
dbarnes85
NewbieCake

Post by dbarnes85 »

All the more reason to take the tobin harbor trail!

I do find the beer run to be impressive though!

I met one of the rangers who ran all the way across the island in a day.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

drobarge wrote:I ran from three mile to rock and back in 82 minutes to pick up 18 beers last weekend :)
At least you were a willing participant. This reminded me of a Clint Eastwood movie, "The Eiger Saction". George Kennedy is training Eastwood on a long vertical technical climb. At the summit Kennedy asks Eastwood if he'd like a beer. Eastwood responds with something to the effect of, "Who would be dumb enough to carry beer all the way up here?" After which Kennedy reaches into Eastwood's backpack and pulls out two beers he'd hidden there. When Eastwood complains it's warm, Kennedy says, "I thought you'd draw the line at haul'in ice." :lol:

That TSA warning about always pack your own bag applies to backpacking as well.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013