Northern Lights - Hints/Advice

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

unicornv
NewbieCake

Northern Lights - Hints/Advice

Post by unicornv »

I read rumors that one can see the Northern Lights from IR.

Any advice on that for a late July / early August trip? Never seen them before...
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Northern Lights - Hints/Advice

Post by johnhens »

Check here for the forecast:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/

I have seen them on IR numerous times, mostly when getting up to answer the "call".
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

look north between 10PM and 2AM, on a high forecast day is preferable, with little or no clouds (if you cant see stars you cant see them), for photos... high ISO, slow shutter speed, set focus in the daylight (your sensor probably wont be able to auto focus when it is that dark), tripod necessary, remote shutter preferred. It can be fun to play with light when taking lights pictures, you can use a flash to illuminate something in the foreground and still get the lights exposed with a long shutter speed, you can also write stuff with your headlamp, or illuminate the inside of your tent for cool foreground exposures.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

HI
Is there a better area on the island where you see the northern lights better than others?
Thanks
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

zims wrote:HI
Is there a better area on the island where you see the northern lights better than others?
Thanks
Theoretically the further north you are, the bigger and brighter the Northern Lights will be although they are so much larger than the size of the Island that location north vs. south shouldn't make much difference. The biggest thing to pay attention to is to achieve the best unobstructed view of the horizon to the north. Campgrounds, such as Todd Harbor, Little Todd, Birch Island, Belle Isle, adjacent to Lake Superior on the north shore would be the best campground sights. I think the absolute best location might be along the Greenstone Ridge that has a clear view north (for example the Ojibway tower). We used to go up there to watch the sunset and then make our way back to Daisy Farm by flashlight. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to hang out up there until the wee hours of the morning.

But if they are not "flaring up" due to recent Coronal Mass Ejections on the Sun it does not matter where you are.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013