Holy Guacamole!

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Holy Guacamole!

Post by MattC »

Sorry guys, way to excited to at least not say a little something but I am meeting up with one of IR 'superstars.'
Though I won't say who quite yet it's thrilling to know he's taking time out to come meet with me and chat about my trip next month. Going over itinerary and probably some gear talk over a cold pint - who could ask for more before their first adventure to the Isle?!?
Anyways, I'll leave it speculation for now, and will post about our meeting after it occurs.
So excited.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Holy Guacamole!

Post by hooky »

Tell Rafiki I said "Hi".
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Not Rafiki but maybe I should meet him too since we both live in Chicago.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Ha Ha Ha Hooky that was quick thinking on your part to know that I live in Chicago and to consider me a possible suspect. I am even more flattered to have been considered a suspect on the account that the person Matt is meeting has "Superstar" status. While Matt has already confirmed it is not me, I'd still like to take the time to introduce myself to a fellow Chicagoan. Hi Matt, nice to meet you brother, I'm Tim. Where abouts in Chicago do you live? When you feel comfortable with letting us know who this superstar is that you speak of, I might want in on this meeting if you and Mr. Superstar do not mind the extra company :lol: I love meeting people on the boards. Especially when on the trails and the encounter is unexpected. That is the best ;)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Rafiki, I'm in the Edgewater/Andersonville neighborhood on the northside next to the lake. Been living here for 2 years and it's been great so far. Where are you at? PM me and i'll give you some details. Meeting up this Thursday, July 3rd. Location hasn't been 100% nailed down but you can definitely join if you'd like.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

They call me the Matchmaker.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Hey Guys, sorry it's been awhile since I've posted. Life gets busy sometimes.
Well, last night I met up with George Desort. What a great guy with tons of IR knowledge. We sat and chatted for about 4 hours at a small brewery in my neighborhood. Taked about everything under the sun IR related and about his work.
Gave up a couple of his favorite spots to get off the trail and see some of the hidden gems the Isle has to offer. Including a small pond where he said if we get there around 7am we're almost guaranteed to see moose. He said Rolf was there 10 days about and saw 13 at the same time. I'm sure that was a treat.
It was really nice of him to take time out to come and chat with my wife and I and we plan on meeting with him again after we get back for a trip report. 2 weeks and 2 hours from now I should be hitting the dock at Rock Harbor!
Attachments
IMG_7976.jpg
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Life gets busy sometimes.
Boy does it ever. Sorry I didn't back to you Matt. It was one of those things where I should have replied back to you as soon as I saw your message instead of saying "I'll write him back tomorrow morning."

I am so glad you had a great time and that George shared a wealth of knowledge with you. I am sure you are that much more excited about your trip and that you are dying to get to the island sound. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear about the trip report when you get back.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

No worries, Tim. I figured you were tied up with things.
I'm suppose to meet with him again sometime in September and give him my trip report if you have any interest in coming out then. He has friends and hangs out in my neighborhood a lot. Some of the graphic design work and website for 50 Lakes was done in Andersonville too!