Planning trip for next summer

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Rev Spaceman22
NewbieCake

Planning trip for next summer

Post by Rev Spaceman22 »

I have never been to Isle Royale before, but I want to experience it next summer. I have some experience with backpacking, and I am hoping to hike through the center of the Island from Windigo to Rock Harbor. Could anyone tell me what the terrain is like on that trail? Is it fairly level or quite strenuous with lots of up and down?

Is it necessary to bring your own tent, or can I rely on sleeping in shelters? I'd like to keep my pack as light as possible, and if I don't have to carry my backpacking tent, it would be a plus. At the time, I will be 35, and I am male. Is it necessary to hike with someone, or is a solo trip manageable?

Anything that anyone can offer by way of advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
treeplanter
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Planning trip for next summer

Post by treeplanter »

You’ll probably get many replies on this. I’m a kayaker more than a hiker, so will defer to somebody who has more experience hiking the Greenstone Trail than I do for a description on what the trail is like.

As for shelters, they are only located on campsites that are on Lake Superior or it’s bays. You won’t find shelters at any of the interior campsites.

Yes, solo hiking is possible. Back in 1992, we met a gal who hiked, by herself, from Rock Harbor to Windigo and back.

You may want to pick up Jim DuFresne’s book “Isle Royale National Park: Foot Trails & Water Routes” for an idea on what to expect when hiking the Greenstone (or any other trail in the park).

Hope this helps.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hello, I will throw a few opinions at ya if u like.Firstly the greenstone is a lot of up and downs a bit of wooded and a bit of out crop.......all beautiful!! If you are in any kinda shape at all and keep your pack light you should be able to manage with ease on the greenstone. I personally recomend a little training though. Keeping the pack weight down around 30 would make this a breeze.If you are creative you can bring the weight down without breaking the bank ;) .As far as solo goes, sure completely doable ......but mabe a little lonely.I personaly dont consider myself a people person .....but It wouldn't be the most enjoyable for me......but that is my opinion :) .Don't be afraid to bushwack when up on the mountain tops ....if it is in your comfort zone ....there are some great views to be seen by leaving the trail a little.

I may have missed it, but what time of year? How long? Experience , you have some, then you are on a good start already.Good luck and have fun planning !
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Plan on a tent... even if everywhere you are staying has a shelter you cant be sure to not have somenone beat you there.

As someone has already mentioned Jim DuFrense's book and or Mike's book http://www.isleroyale.info/ are great resources for planning.
Rev Spaceman22
NewbieCake

Post by Rev Spaceman22 »

tree rattt wrote:Hello, I will throw a few opinions at ya if u like.Firstly the greenstone is a lot of up and downs a bit of wooded and a bit of out crop.......all beautiful!! If you are in any kinda shape at all and keep your pack light you should be able to manage with ease on the greenstone. I personally recomend a little training though. Keeping the pack weight down around 30 would make this a breeze.If you are creative you can bring the weight down without breaking the bank ;) .As far as solo goes, sure completely doable ......but mabe a little lonely.I personaly dont consider myself a people person .....but It wouldn't be the most enjoyable for me......but that is my opinion :) .Don't be afraid to bushwack when up on the mountain tops ....if it is in your comfort zone ....there are some great views to be seen by leaving the trail a little.

I may have missed it, but what time of year? How long? Experience , you have some, then you are on a good start already.Good luck and have fun planning !
Thanks to everyone for your input so far. Regarding the time of the year, I'm thinking I'll try for late July or early August next summer. I want to avoid bugs as much as possible, and I don't want it to be too cold either. Is there anything to be aware of about this time of year?
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

Later in August usually avoids most of the bugs and still moderate temps. That being said, be prepared for temps dipping into the high 30s at night. My first night last week, the temp dropped down into the 40s at night. Some experienced hikers find the constant up and down is just as taxing as hiking the moutainous sections of the AT, so conditioning is key as well as keeping miles between planned campsites low; 7 miles being easy while 8 or more makes for a longer day.

Enjoy your trip; well worth the planning.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Most of my trips have been in July, usually later, and that's a nice time to go. Generally fewer bugs than June, fewer people than Aug. Temps have ranged from 40 to 85 and that's the range you should be prepared for regardless of when you go. Weather can vary greatly depending on where you are due the effects of the lake. As for bugs, I will always bring a headnet, but have never had to resort to it. Yeah, you'll need bug dope, but I've never experienced horrible swarms on my trips. Black flies should be pretty much gone and skeeters maybe moderate.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH