New Food Storage Rules

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

New Food Storage Rules

Post by JerryB »

I just got my permit for this year and NPS included an insert on "new" food storage rules. As I read it, keeping food in ziplock bags and in backpacks is sufficient. The first preference is for use of coolers and hard sided containers, which seems geared toward boaters (unless we start using bear canisters), but it is stated as a preference and not a hard requirement.

For me, this represents no change in practice. I assume that is the case for just about everyone, so I am not sure I understand the action taken by NPS.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: New Food Storage Rules

Post by Tampico »

I don't get it either. Are they worried one of the last three wolves on the island is going to get into your food?
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I believe it's more worried about the thieving ground squirrels or camp foxes.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

If I recall, they started emphasizing the food storage rules a few years ago when the wolves started frequenting the campgrounds more (and there were still 9 last year). I don't think they're really new so much as they've just emphasized them more. And anything to keep the squirrels at bay ain't bad. We had one chew through the tent mesh, a canvas Duluth pack, and the ziplock to get to the trail mix.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Where were you when they did that damage?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

jerry wrote:Where were you when they did that damage?
Wood Lake if I recall--or maybe Lake Ritchie canoe. The actual damage wasn't terrible, just little holes. They little buggers were trying to get into the food pack as we cooked, so we set it inside the tent door--didn't work! After that we made sure it stayed in the center of the tent away from the walls and didn't have any more issues.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH