Newbie questions ....

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Alpine
NewbieCake

Newbie questions ....

Post by Alpine »

Hi All,

A couple of first-timers here. Well, technically I have been to IR once when I was a teenager but don’t recall too much. We are really looking forward to it even though our stay won’t be long. Three days/two nights including the ferry from Copper Harbor – doesn’t leave much time but we hope to make the best of it.

Anyway, we have reservations at the Rock Harbor Lodge coming up in about 10 days or so, and we do have a few questions after searching through this forum.

-We plan to hike the Scoville Point trail, and out to Three Mile and back, with the possibility of extending that one up to Mt Franklin. Not sure what else – seems like the timing of the MV Sandy schedule doesn’t fit our schedule very well or we would take it across Tobin and hike to Lookout Louise and back to RH via Three Mile.

-Is this the ‘official’ info for Sandy? http://rockharborlodge.com/sights

-We arrive on Tuesday Noon-ish I think so we might be able to fit in either the Edisen Fishery or Raspberry Island Sunset Cruise on that day, Three Mile/Mt Franklin on Wednesday, and Scoville point Thursday AM before heading back to Copper Harbor Thursday PM.

-Thoughts on how to best use our time? Most of our hikes here in CO are around 6-8 miles RT and 1500-2000’ vertical. (I know Franklin is a little longer than that but figure the longer mileage may be compensated by the lesser vertical?)

-Also, the lodge comes with ½ day use of a canoe, so we may try to fit that in depending on how the weather and other factors go. But between the two of us we have been in canoes only a few times, so don’t really know what we are doing. Would a ride a ride across Tobin Harbor fit our experience levels?

-Bugs/Mosquitoes – How bad are they this year or might they be around the first week of August? Being from Colorado we don’t worry about bugs too much. We do have our share of mosquitoes but doubt they are anything like what we might find on IR. We are trying to decide whether or not to get some of those mosquito-netting hats or even something with more coverage. We are kind of leaning towards not doing so and just relying on DEET – what do you think?

Sorry for all the Questions but ya gotta start somewhere right?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help!

Jim
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Newbie questions ....

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome to the forums Jim,

Two years ago I did almost the same trip, staying at the lodge. Here is a link to my report:
Rock Harbor Base Camp

Assuming you arrive somewhat on time, I would highly recommend taking the Sandy tour of Edison Fishery. It also offers a tour of the Rock Harbor Lighthouse and a short hike to the Bangsund cabin which is the summer home of Rolf and Candy Peterson of the Wolf/Moose Study. If they are home they will be gracious hosts and most likely invite you into their home. On the way back the Sandy may also stop at Daisy Farm if asked. If might be too late in the day for you to take a hike back from Daisy Farm but it could be an option. It would be about a 5 pm start to do 7 miles in 4 hours as sunset would be about 9 pm. Even though there is not a lot of elevation change, many trails (especially the ones alone the old shore lines can have quite a bit of up and down.) I have not taken the sunset cruise, the seas were too rough that night so it was cancelled (or maybe not enough people signed up).

You could easily canoe across Tobin Harbor to the Hidden Lake Dock to make your own way up to Lookout Louise. If it's too windy or the seas are too rough they will not even let you go. They are quite conservative in that regard. If you'd rather get a one way boat and hike back through Mt Franklin you could hire the water taxi to ferry you over to Hidden Lake, but try to make that reservation ahead of time as they can book up.

Regarding bugs, plan for the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when all you need is a long sleeve coat and little spray in the evening. It all depends on temperatures, previous rain and breeze, but the black flies are not going to be a problem. Unless you are doing a lot of inland hiking I seriously doubt you will ever come close to using the headnet but for a few dollars it is very light weight insurance. The worst thing would be not having them if you end up being very sensitive to even a mild attack.

I don't know your preference but if you want an outdoor deck on the water, ask for a downstairs room. The upstairs rooms have bigger bay windows but no deck.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I second everything Ed said. I do like your tentative plan: I would definitely try to get up the ridge to either Mt Franklin or Lookout Louise (you get a similar view from both spots). If you're in the mood to paddle more than hike, then take the canoe over to Hidden Lake and the short hike up to Lookout Louise instead of the Mt Franklin hike. In any case, don't sweat the details too much--you won't be able to do everything, but everything you do you will enjoy!

For both the Three Mile and Scoville Pt hikes, the Tobin Harbor side of the loops are much easier trails, with fewer rocks and roots. I would take the slower, Rock Harbor side on the way out, and have the easier hike back.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

All said is what i would do on a quick trip to Rock Harbor Lodge. In regards to canoe access to Look out Louise, you can also access from Tobin Harbor/Duncan Bay Portage trail; this is a much shorter paddle if that is a concern. You would then have a couple mile hike along the Greenstone Ridge to Lookout Louise and experience that aspect of the island.

Also, make sure you check out nightly presentation schedule at the Ranger Station in Rock Harbor.
Alpine
NewbieCake

Post by Alpine »

Appreciate the replies.

One question - is 'the water taxi' the same thing or different than, the MV Sandy? If different where does one sign up for it?

jc
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Alpine wrote:Appreciate the replies.

One question - is 'the water taxi' the same thing or different than, the MV Sandy? If different where does one sign up for it?

jc
Yes, it is different. You pre-schedule your pick-up/drop-off points for the water taxi. Reservations are generally needed unless you're really flexible or just very lucky. I believe there are 2 which hold up to 6 passengers each. Also more expensive unless you have a boat load. Everything in R.H. is run by Forever Resorts, so the same website you've been looking at.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
TallGuy
NewbieCake

Post by TallGuy »

My wife and I enjoy The Isle the same way you are going to. Our favorite hike is to be dropped off by water taxi at Daisy Farm and hike back to Rock Harbor via Daisy Farm, Greenstone, Mt. Franklin, and Tobin Harbor trails. It's somewhere around 10 - 12 miles but you have all day to do it. We find many different places to sit and enjoy the scenery and eat snacks the best ones being Mt. Ojibway and Mt. Franklin. By the time your boots hit the Tobin Harbor trail you'll be grateful for a relatively easy last three miles! We've hiked from Hidden Lake to Lookout Louise (A MUST) then back to Rock Harbor via the Greenstone, Mt Franklin, and Tobin Harbor trails The hike back to Rock Harbor via these trails is our least favorite hike of all we've done on the island. There are no bad trails just some you'll enjoy more than others. Like Ingo said "everything you do you will enjoy".

Have a great time! We sail on The Queen two weeks from today and we can't wait!