Stomach bug after trip

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

eliotski93
NewbieCake

Stomach bug after trip

Post by eliotski93 »

Hi
My daughter did a 14 day trip on IR in late July-early August. She is an experienced wilderness traveler who was traveling with other experienced hikers. She is familiar with water filters, their use, and their importance, but she is also a teenager (15), and we are now dealing with what looks like the symptoms of Girardia.

As we head off to the Doc this afternoon I was wondering if there are any other bacteria (waterborne or airborne) that we should be aware of that visitors to IR might pick up?

Thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Stomach bug after trip

Post by johnhens »

As long as the filter pore size is small enough, she should not have had a problem. There is always the chance of secondary exposure, improperly used filter, dipping one's hands in water source and then grabbing food to ingest w/o drying. I assume the doc has asked for a stool sample? Have you comsidered West Nile (if it is prevallent at home). Hope things work out ok. Let us know the outcome if it is giardia, bacteria ect.
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

In general, giardia is much less likely than simple wilderness hygiene issues. No sinks in the outhouses :-)

But neither seems likely to occur after this many weeks....Giardia symptoms generally manifest within a couple weeks....
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I am a firm believer in a good hand washing! At least daily. Find an environmentally safe place, use clean water and wash up. I also recommend good cleaning and sanitize your cook wear and dishes .I like metal, I can heat it up on the stove to kill the nasties.My plastic cup gets boiled .

I am curious on this one.I wonder if it is island water related?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2