The Kamloops

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

The Kamloops

Post by johnhens »

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: The Kamloops

Post by hooky »

Really great read. I was only familiar with the story of the American. The rest were new to me. Thanks for posting this.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've never been scuba diving but I'm curious about the remark made in the article.

"Just beyond the reach of open circuit scuba, hundreds of shipwrecks are held captive by the great lake they call Gitchigumi, eluding our discovery and ability to visit."

Can any scuba person tell me, are they referring to the extended time offered by re-breather systems (thus greater depths reachable)? Or does it have to something to do with the dangers of pressure regulators in water near freezing? Or both?

In 1975 I once accompanied two friends doing a certification dive off the coast of the Keweenaw Peninsula during winter. They went pretty deep, 100+ feet rings a bell. Their regulators were of different designs. One guy had his on the mouth piece while the other was at the tank. My assigned task was to basically call the authorities if they failed to return. After they were several minutes late they finally emerged. One of the regulators froze so they had to buddy breathe on their way back up. All I remember is them saying it was a close call.

I recently purchased a Google book "Isle Royale" by Richard Taylor and Jessica Poirier. It has many old photographs and stories of Isle Royale boats and shipping and general history, including the The Ranger I, II and III, Voyageur I and Isle Royale Queen I and II. Lot's of new stuff I'd never heard about before.

https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Produ ... 0738551357
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Midwest Ed wrote: Can any scuba person tell me, are they referring to the extended time offered by re-breather systems (thus greater depths reachable)? Or does it have to something to do with the dangers of pressure regulators in water near freezing? Or both?
]
Yes, to both. While the recreational dive limit is still 130ft (anything beyond is technical diving), you don't have much time at that depth with traditional equipment. The volume of consumption is too high, and if standard compressed air, risk of nitrogen building up is an issue. While I haven't had the opportunity to use a re-breather, they do allow a significantly longer time at depth - both from a consumption of O2 rate, as well as the enriched air environment.
I have, however, had the opportunity to ice dive - And with traditional regulators, there is a chance they will freeze open in the lower water temperatures. (Because the regulator is decompressing air, it gets cold from that, and paired with no 'warmer' water around it to keep it thawed, it can freeze..) Pretty much any dive in Superior could hold that risk...

Interesting book. I may have to purchase. Thanks for the link!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tom wrote:Interesting book. I may have to purchase. Thanks for the link!
The EBook version from Google was only $7.99. Some of the pictures taken during the "CCC" days blew me away with large areas of clear cut logging. Also interesting was the 1936 fire and the fact that the original Park headquarters was on Caribou Island.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013