Rock Harbor Excursions

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

MikeW
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Rock Harbor Excursions

Post by MikeW »

I will be on the island for 5 nights arriving in RH July 17 with my 10 year old son. My 5th trip and his first. Mileage is not an issue for me, but I don't want to push him so we will not be straying too far - no further than Daisy or Lane Cove. Was hoping to get some input on some of the day trips offered on the Sandy. Does any one trip stand out above the others? I was also thinking of renting a canoe to kick around Tobin harbor. If memory serves one is able to get a half day rental, and what time frame do they consider a half day?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rock Harbor Excursions

Post by Ingo »

We loved Passage Island. And it's the only way to get there without your own boat. Also, Edison Fishery and the Lighthouse are pretty neat. You can climb the lighthouse, which I'm sure your son (and you) would enjoy. I think those are the most unique from what you otherwise get backpacking.

I think the 1/2 day rentals are anything <4 hrs. They're usually pretty laid back about it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Rock Harbor Excursions

Post by Midwest Ed »

I became a big fan of the MV Sandy in 2013 when I stayed at the Lodge for most of a week. I've hiked and paddled most of the Island (a long time ago) but this last trip utilizing the Sandy was excellent. I did the Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise trip and the Edison Fishery/Rock Harbor Lighthouse/Bangsund-Peterson Cabin. If Rolf and/or Candy Peterson are home it makes the excursion very special. I tried for the Passage Island trip but it was cancelled due to lack of interest (this was the last week of the season for the lodge; the week following Labor Day). On both trips it was publicized ahead of time we were welcome to make the excursion a one way trip, and make our own way back from Lookout Louise or Daisy Farm. Daisy Farm is directly across from Edison Fishery and we were offered a drop off there.

The issues for hikers trying to take advantage of multiple MV Sandy trips is that during normal/peak season (when the Sandy is operating) there is a one night consecutive stay limit at Rock Harbor campground (and 3 Mile) and your ferry/plane arrival/departure schedule may not coincide properly with the Sandy's schedule. If you can work out the logistics, then the Sandy can provide opportunities usually missed by hikers. There is a water taxi as well that can be scheduled to meet your exact one way scheduling needs and has a much more versatile itinerary but it comes at a price premium. You could also combine a canoe rental with a paddle to Hidden Lake and then a 2 mile round trip hike to Lookout Louise.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013