Old IR Literature

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

odd man out
LNT Expert

Old IR Literature

Post by odd man out »

I am just now thinking seriously about another trip to IR having been there back in 1984. I was going through a bookshelf in the basement and I found all my literature we acquired from that trip. It would seem that not a lot has changed in 32 years (except prices). I have the ticket stubs for our trip on the Ranger III dated 6/26/84 - 6/30/84 (it was a short trip). I have several pamphlets about camping and canoeing, the official park brochure, and a copy of "The Isle Royale Chronicle" (an advertising insert from The Daily Mining Gazette). I also have a copy of "Wilderness Trails - A Guide to the Trails in Isle Royale National Park" by the IRNHA (Revised 1977) and a first edition of the DuFresne book Isle Royale National Park Foot Trails and Water Routes. I would have purchased this when it was first published in the spring of 1984. I wonder if I would need to buy an updated version for hiking or if this one is good enough still?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Old IR Literature

Post by johnhens »

In the book at Feldtmann Lake, 2 trails to Feldtmann are shown. East Feldtmann does not exist now. When the Greenstone (park newspaper) comes out usually in March , all info you need for planning your trip is in there.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Old IR Literature

Post by fonixmunkee »

That's a pretty cool find. I would love to see pictures of them, including the ticket stub.

As JohnHens said, you can find most of the info for planning your trip in the Greenstone...or on this site, ahem. That being said, I still maintain a copy of DuFresne's book.