The 2016 Greenstone Park Newspaper is out

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

The 2016 Greenstone Park Newspaper is out

Post by fonixmunkee »

It would appear that the 2016 Greenstone Park Newspaper is released on the same day as it was last year (28 Feb).

Regardless, you can view the paper here: http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... nstone.pdf

New things I've noticed in this year's edition:
  • More details, including operating times, for many of the stores and house-keeping cabins in both Rock Harbor and Windigo
  • Big push for the NPS's 100th birthday this year. This appears to include the 4th Grade Pass Through August 31, 2016: user fees will be waived for US students in 4th grade and up to three accompanying adults; student must present personalized paper voucher or 4th grade pass on arrival. Go to http://www.everykidinapark.gov to learn more and receive a voucher.
  • User fees are to be paid in advance at http://www.pay.gov
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: The 2016 Greenstone Park Newspaper is out

Post by Tom »

It's always fun to see the new edition out. Somehow makes the season seem like it's almost here!

Regarding:
fonixmunkee wrote:
I don't think it's mandatory, but rather recommended for speed, like last year. Below that tidbit they mention folks should do that "to avoid congestion and long waits upon arrival" which makes me think they'll still take your money when you arrive, if you didn't get around to it before that. (I suppose to accommodate day trippers, too, who might not plan very far in advance.)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Great clarification, Tom.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

My experience with prepaying last year: When I got to Windigo, they did not have me listed as paid. They had to call Houghton to confirm my prepay.
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

It's great to read The Greenstone. I've forwarded this to several people who are planning trips this year.

Thanks for posting, John.
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Some tips on the user fee based on what I noticed and discussed with the staff during the transition to park staff collection. It is best to pay online but they will and do collect the fee from those who haven't paid in advance. When paying online it is best to do so the day before you leave home for the park and print your receipt and have it with you. A couple reasons for this, with receipt in hand they don't have to check with anyone to verify the payment which greatly speeds things along. Paying too far in advance can cause issues when, if something were to happen that you needed to cancel the trip and wanted a refund of the fee, there is no easy way for them to get the government to give money back. It can be done, but not on site and by the time it is all done a lot of time and effort are spent, so only pay once you are certain that everything is a go or call it a donation if you need to cancel. It is best to pay by 1-credit card 2-check 3-cash in that order if you have not paid the fee in advance and need to pay once you arrive. Cash is tough to deal with as they have limited change on hand and park service procedures for handling cash makes Fort Knox security seem lax in comparison. Following these simple guidelines will really help the staff, save time and get you on the trails or back on the boat faster.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Capt Don wrote:... handling cash makes Fort Knox security seem lax in comparison.
Gave me a chuckle. Thanks. Didn't it used to be at one time that they only took cash?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH