Fly into Windigo and hike to Desor South the same day?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnniev57
NewbieCake

Fly into Windigo and hike to Desor South the same day?

Post by johnniev57 »

Being this being the Greenstone trail, would this be possible without a problem?
I would hope to fly first thing in the morning to get to Windigo at 9:00 am EST.
Once we check in, get any goods from the store and head out. Is getting to Desor south at a decent time possible without putting it into high gear?

Thanks!!
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Fly into Windigo and hike to Desor South the same day?

Post by drobarge »

Last year we went to N Desor leaving Windigo at 10:50 am via the Minong .... So yes it's doable. We had a tough day though finishing at 8:10 PM.
johnniev57
NewbieCake

Post by johnniev57 »

If we flew into windigo and arrived at 9:00 am, I'm just wondering how long we will dink around checking in and getting any groceries before we hit the trail... sounds like it's doable no problem, just a long day I guess......
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Check-in doesn't take long. Unless the plane arrives right after a boat there won't be any lines and you'll get a personal LNT talk.
A couple things to consider: it's not particularly uncommon for the plane to be delayed, in addition to high winds, fog is big factor. So have a plan B just in case. Also, don't plan to provision at the store--it's good for a snack (and a beer), but not much else.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnniev57
NewbieCake

Post by johnniev57 »

OK, thanks!! I hope to just get stuff at the store that we can't take on the plane. Fuel etc...
I took the plane once with no problems, but yes, I've read a few times on here about the plane being delayed - thanks!!
I'm just trying to make a decent plan/itinerary to be on the island for just 4 days of hiking.....
I think I am going to start a new thread with itinerary options and get some input on what my best route would be...