Logistics of helicopter work on IR

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Logistics of helicopter work on IR

Post by johnhens »

This was interesting, thought some would like to view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Psi2uD ... e=youtu.be
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Logistics of helicopter work on IR

Post by Midwest Ed »

This got me wondering if the federal government could maybe satisfy both the NPS lifting needs and allow an Army National Guard Unit to get their flight time hours in under the same project. There is a Minnesota Army National Guard unit in St. Paul with both Black Hawks and Chinooks.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I think the Iowa DNR used a National Guard chinnok to lift a prefab bridge into place for a bike trai. Saw it on a tv program.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Here is the full channel. They've posted multiple videos showing the work now. Very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4TYFO ... ylPKySIu2A
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Also posted on the Duluth News Tribune: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4 ... t-facelift
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

On my trip on the island from the 17-24th, twice I came upon a pretty squirrely section of boardwalk, after hiking past it and thinking that would be a good boardwalk for the trail crews to replace, a trail crew of 4 to 6 people came from the opposite way I was hiking and then within twenty minutes, the sound of the helipcopter could be heard in that area. I thought I was having my prayers answered as I would come across a bad section, wonder if they were going to replace it, then trail crew magically appears out of nowhere, then helicopter flies in and drops off the lumber to fix the boardwalk. I thought I had some kind of special willing power to make it happen! lol

Ironically it was some of the same guys and gals I ran into both times, the first time I was Tuesday AM on the Hugginnin trail, and the second time was Thursday AM on the Lane Cove trail. The one fellow that I chatted with the first time had recognized me and wondered how I got from one side of the island to the other so fast. I thought I might tell him I super hiked it from there, but I told him the real story, I rode the voyaguer from windigo to Rock harbor, then hiked from there to Lane Cove.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=989

download/file.php?mode=view&id=988
Attachments
20160615_195651_resized_1.jpg
20160615_213808_resized.jpg
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!