2017 Isle Royale Trip

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Dialtone
NewbieCake

2017 Isle Royale Trip

Post by Dialtone »

Hey everyone!

Well, I stumbled across this forum and have been reading a lot of your posts, gathering information, reviews, ideas, etc. I initially was invited to go on a backpacking trip to Isle Royale back in 2004 with a couple friends of mine, but needless to say I declined the request. After hearing about the trip, I decided to do a solo trip a few years later, but was unable to fulfill my dream. Now, I've finally decided to make this dream come true. I'm sick of waiting and pushing things off and I feel this will be good for me...a time for reflection, solitude, and isolation.

Ok, so now down to the "nitty-gritty"...here is what I have planned so far. I would appreciate any insight, recommendations, etc. from backcountry men/women who have been to the island. My friends have always opted for the boat ride, but I would rather fly in. Also, they explored the eastern end of the island (Rock Harbor), whereas I'm looking at hiking the Feldtmann Loop.

Friday 09/08 - Drive to Houghton
Saturday 09/09-Sunday 09/10 - Fly out in the morning via Isle Royale Seaplanes to Windigo. Hike from Windigo to Feldtmann Lake (2-day stay)
Monday 09/11-Tuesday 09/12 - Pack up camp in the morning and hike to Siskiwit Bay (2-day stay)
Wednesday 09/13 - Pack up camp in the morning and hike to Island Mine (1-night stay)
Thursday 09/14 - Pack up camp in the morning and hike back to Windigo (1-night stay)
Friday 09/15 - Fly out in the morning back to Houghton

I already have purchased much of the gear needed and have used some of it on camping trips. I still need to pick up some specialty clothing, food, fuel, etc. For the large items, here is what I already own...

Osprey Atmos AG 65 pack
TNF Cat's Meow sleeping bag
MSR Pocket Rocket stove (Should I purchase a liquid fuel stove due to the store not always stocking iso-butane?)
MSR Titan cookset
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 tent
Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOLite sleeping pad

Again, any recommendations or insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: 2017 Isle Royale Trip

Post by JerryB »

It sounds like a great trip. There are a lot of trip reports on this route, including several from me. A few thoughts:

Will the store even be open then? I am not sure. Even if it is, I would be wary of counting on a specific inventory. Not sure if this is a viable option for you, but the MN ferry will get you to Windigo and you will have no problem packing fuel.

I think you are safe with your MSR stove, as far as cold weather. Unlikely it will be so cold as to cause the MSR any problems.

When you are in a shelter, it is far colder (in chilly weather) than in a tent, so be sure you are comfortable with your chosen sleeping layers.

Finally, Island Mine will be a nice spot for you--you can have a camp fire there, but be sure the small creek--the only water source--is running. If it is not, as long as you carried enough water, stretching your hike down to Windigo should not be a problem. It is an easy addition to the hike.
Dialtone
NewbieCake

Post by Dialtone »

JerryB wrote:It sounds like a great trip. There are a lot of trip reports on this route, including several from me. A few thoughts:

Will the store even be open then? I am not sure. Even if it is, I would be wary of counting on a specific inventory. Not sure if this is a viable option for you, but the MN ferry will get you to Windigo and you will have no problem packing fuel.

I think you are safe with your MSR stove, as far as cold weather. Unlikely it will be so cold as to cause the MSR any problems.

When you are in a shelter, it is far colder (in chilly weather) than in a tent, so be sure you are comfortable with your chosen sleeping layers.

Finally, Island Mine will be a nice spot for you--you can have a camp fire there, but be sure the small creek--the only water source--is running. If it is not, as long as you carried enough water, stretching your hike down to Windigo should not be a problem. It is an easy addition to the hike.
Ugh, I was just getting ready to update this...had September on my mind, but meant August. I'll update my itinerary with the correct dates when I get home from work.

I live in MI, so I'll be driving from the southern lower so that isn't an option.

Thanks for the recommendations JerryB, especially on Island Mine. I've read mixed reviews about that spot, but I've got to stay at least one time.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

My last trip was over the first week of September and the Windigo store was open the entire time. The inventory, however was pretty thin. They slow down on restocking items as the season winds down. That's something to keep in mind, even in August.

I might be tempted to push on from Island Mine and go all the way to Windigo and try to spend a night at Washington Creek (11 mile day from Sisky Bay) and the last night at Huginnin Cove. If you're dead set on staying at Island Mine, I'd lose a night at Feldtmann and still try to spend an additional night Huginnin Cove. My personal preference is to spend time on the superior campsites though. I feel like Feldtmann, and Island Mine especially, are very similar to sites I could find locally.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'll second Hooky's suggestion of adding Huginnin. Beautiful spot. You could even keep the same itinerary and spend the last night there if you scheduled a later flight out.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Dialtone, welcome to the forums. This is a great trip you have planned...I like the slower pace. The Feldtmann loop is one of my favorite hikes of the island...I think I've done it four times now. When you combine the slower pace and the time of year you'll be there, you're going to be in for a real treat.

My only change I'd make is what others have said...skip Island Mine and go to Hugginin for a day. You won't be disappointed, and you'll surely get a great campsite as the island will not be very busy that time of year. This will make for a long day from Siskiwit to Hugginin, but you'll be good and rested from spending two days relaxing before your big hike.

Lake Feldtmann and Siskiwit Bay are two beautiful places. I really hope the leaves are starting to change for you while you're there, I can't imagine how beautiful the view from the Feldtmann ridge would be in fall. Be sure to visit Rainbow Cove for a bit while in Feldtmann. You can hike up and down Rainbow Cove for quite a distance and do some exploring. Also, the fishing at Feldtmann is great, so bring a rod and tackle if your a fisherman.

There's lots to explore around Siskiwit. There's the old powder house on Sentar Point, the old CCC village near the campground (mostly just a clearing with some apple trees that *may* be ready for picking when you get there!), and you can always try to go cross-country to some of the inland lakes. Our goal the next time we go to Siskiwit is to bush-whack over to Fisherman's Home on the south shore...

The weather in September on Isle Royale will be temperamental, so be sure to bring some warm clothes, including some light-weight long underwear (I usually just use the next-to-skin silk stuff...it packs down really small and is ultra-light).

Your stove will function fine in the cold weather. Be sure to work with the airplane operator on getting gas to/from the island in case the store isn't open. I'd also never bank on the store having it in stock. Give the store a call (you can find their contact info in the Greenstone newspaper) ahead of time to verify.

Enjoy the trip next year. We look forward to a trip report and some pics next fall!
pat41354
NewbieCake

Post by pat41354 »

i have always liked island mine...in the woods and you can have a fire...something soothing about that....and i don't go to Isle Royale to ''do things'''...i go to do nothing...just breathe....why oh why are we always in such a hurry....have a great time
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Take your time, at Feldtman Lake be sure to spend the evening out at Rainbow Cove. Island Mine can be gorgeous in the fall - as can that whole western section of the Greenstone because the forest there is more maple, oak and birch than the rest of the island so you get falling leaves and blazing color intermixed with the spruces. This is great loop, and I would try to get a day from one of the other sites and go to Hugunin Cove as mentioned above. Siskiwit Bay to Island Mine is only a couple miles and goes quickly.