Fishing Trip

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Fishing Trip

Post by HikerGal »

I am looking for some information on when might be the best time to go to IR fishing in Lake Superior. Let me start with we are backpackers, not boaters, so we are looking for a more "backpacking" experience and not a "boating" experience. And I am not a fisherperson but I am hooked on IR so I will go whenever I get a chance!

Two years ago we took my friend's 17' (?) Lund to IR from Jun 12 - 18, 2015 on the Ranger III. We went to Siskiwit Bay, Malone Bay, and Moskey Basin. I am looking for a time this year to go again. I am leaning towards wanting to go earlier in the season as I will be back in August on a hiking adventure. I am curios if earlier in the season is better for fishing (preferably catching the fish) on Lake Superior.

My current plan is to take the May 30 boat (Tuesday) to IR and then leave the island on the June 7 boat (Wednesday). This year I would like to make it to Windigo (camp at Washington Island) maybe Hay Bay and/or Tookers/Caribou. My friend is an experienced boater and fisherman but the only time he has been to the island with his boat was two years ago and I know the waters around the island can be tricky.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments anyone has on timing or itinerary. Thanks!
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Fishing Trip

Post by treeplanter »

Not sure if you'll find this useful or not.

A guy I used to work with many years back would make an annual fishing trip to IR each June. Him and his buddies had a large boat and would take it across the Lake from Houghton. They would fish in the waters surrounding the island and dock for the evening at one of the lakeside campgrounds. I don’t know what they were fishing for but every year he came back with a ton of fish.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Not clear if you are going to be backapcking or using a boat.
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

We will be using a boat. And apparently fishing for lake trout.

Thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I would try the Middle Paasage area as there is current through there (trollng). We have had luck in Tobin on the 30' reefs in Spring (late May). If you want to try for northern, spend some time around the little bay as you turn to make way towards the Whittlesey portage, on the inside of the the little isthmus in Chippewa harbor.
The reefs around Wright Island have given up fish in Malone Bay.In early Spring the channel makers to get to the Malone dock may not be in place. Very shallow reefs there, be careful. If Siskiwit creek is flowing, that comes out of Siskiwit into Malone, I would try there in the AM and PM. Hay Bay for Northern. You might try McCormick Reef as you head to Windigo.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Disclaimer, I'm no master fisherman. Well OK, not even a real fisherman, but I've been around enough of them to know that finding Lake Trout can sometimes be challenging. A sonar depth finder/fish finder and/or nautical charts will help you find the reefs. Lake Trout is all about water temperature as well. For most of the season the fisherman use down riggers to get deep enough. But in the Spring the water is typically still cold enough that Lake Trout can be closer to the surface and will especially be feeding on reefs maybe only 20 feet or so deep. Salmon is possible too. Any shallow place that's weedy will typically yield Northern Pike, Moskey Basin comes to mind.

You should get the nautical charts anyway for safe navigation. There are several shoal areas you rather not unexpectedly find. A handheld marine transceiver with weather channels is a must for me.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013