First time

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

jmia
NewbieCake

First time

Post by jmia »

My wife and I are going to vist Isle Royale in July for a day trip from Grand Portage MN. We want to see a few sites and take a few short hikes or maybe fish and have lunch. Would we enjoy Rock Harbor or Windigo better? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First time

Post by Ingo »

From Grand Portage, Windigo is the only option for a day trip, because the boat from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor spends the night in Rock Harbor. So, you'd be taking the Seahunter II out to Windigo in the morning and back in the afternoon. While there, the obvious hike is to Grace Overlook which is a high point with nice views. I think it's about 2 miles one-way, so about 4 miles round trip. There's usually a pretty good group of folks from the boat doing that hike. It's pretty flat along the shore of the harbor, and then climbs up to the overlook. There is also a short nature trail around the Windigo area, but I haven't done that. I don't think you have time for both a hike and fishing though. Have a great visit!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jmia
NewbieCake

Post by jmia »

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a place to eat in Windigo?
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

A small store with minimalistic type supplies, mainly for the hikers/backpackers, boaters. No, restaurant; perhaps ready made egg or tuna sandwiches, chips, candy bars, etc. at the store. A small deck at the store to sit and have a snack and cold beverage(water, pop, juice). Souvenirs: T-shirts, hats/caps, postcards, etc.

Someone here on the forum, I thought, had posted an inventory of the Windigo store; you might try a search on this site to find it.

From the above mentioned inventory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfD5A6mJgUU
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

There is frozen pizza! It does taste great after a week of freeze-dried meals. The deck is a wonderful place to relax with a beer or pop.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

If it's a day trip, I'd suggest bringing a nice picnic lunch with you on the boat.