Transporting Boardwalks

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Transporting Boardwalks

Post by Ingo »

Occasionally there's a question about building/maintaining boardwalks and moving the lumber. Here's a pic from the NPS site, on Siskiwit Lake. The pic is on the "Work With Us" page--that looks more appealing than carrying them down the trail :) (which of course they'll have to do too).
ISRO_Web_Ishpeming_Trail_Repair_Project_Canoe_Crew_Boards_Lake_Crossing_640x480.jpg
https://www.nps.gov/isro/getinvolved/workwithus.htm
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Transporting Boardwalks

Post by jrwiesz »

Nice human powered tri-hull pontoon. 8)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

A couple years ago, when hiking down the Ishpeming and you get to the river crossing and the bend to the east (as it rounds the lake) we came across a trail crew working hard to restore the planks. Then another half mile or so up the trail, we came across a huge cache of planks and bases, and somewhat of a footpath that lead down to the water's edge. We surmised they must use a boat in some way to paddle them over from Malone Bay CG, and this explains it. Thanks for posting!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This is incredible. Thank you for sharing this pic.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I can visualize those canoes folding up in the middle, like a leaf. I guess they're heavy-duty canoes.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

DonNewcomb wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 am I can visualize those canoes folding up in the middle, like a leaf. I guess they're heavy-duty canoes.
They look like the 80-90 lb aluminum canoes I grew up with. And water does a remarkable job of distributing the weight.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

A few years ago, I stumbled across this picture of a park employee on boardwalk duty. Doesn't look like it would be much fun compared to the canoe duty.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Is there any talk this year of continued helicopter lifts similar to those that were done last year?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 pm Is there any talk this year of continued helicopter lifts similar to those that were done last year?
What, exactly, were they doing (lifting) with the helicopters?
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

Chorizo wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 5:51 pm What, exactly, were they doing (lifting) with the helicopters?
https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/news/hel ... royale.htm
Chorizo
LNT Expert

Post by Chorizo »

Very cool Tortuga, thanks for that.
Basbh1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Basbh1 »

I have a lot of respect for the trail crew having done work like that when I was young. I would take board walk building duty over erosion control duty that grub axe work is back breaking. I met one of the trail crew guys on the island and I had to shake his hand and thank him for the work that they do . It would be nice if every one did that. Thanks Ingo for starting the topic.
Chorizo
LNT Expert

Post by Chorizo »

We just returned from our trip. We found a couple of these plank drops while we were out there. I suspect they dropped enough for a few years worth of trail work.