What am I forgetting

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hike23
NewbieCake

What am I forgetting

Post by hike23 »

I am really excited about my first Isle Royale trip in a couple weeks (19th). I am not new to backpacking but I am new to this NP. I am currently in Texas so the weather is much different. My hike on the lonestar trail last week was in the 90s. So with that being said I have a couple questions on equipment to make sure I am not forgetting anything. I have layers to go from 40 to 60. Rain gear. Typical food for 5 days. Tent and sleeping bag (20) pad etc. Water filter, first aid, bug spray, bug head net, trekking poles (for mud) head light. Jet boil stove and backup collapsible stick stove (taking plane so backup in case I cant buy fuel). Camera, map, tp, and gators for brushy trails. In all about 32 lbs. I typically hike 15 to 18 miles per day but have planned this trip for no more than 12 miles per day to enjoy the sights and deal with any obstacles that I am not aware of.

Can you think of anything I have forgotten that may be unique for this trip?
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: What am I forgetting

Post by JerryB »

You have a good plan, so enjoy. You may want to consider a tarp. It can give you some dry space for cooking in the rain or a dry place to sit. You can also hang it on the shelter screen to hold out some cold and hold in some heat, in case it is cold.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

It looks like you have the essential bases well covered! Two thoughts: lightweight camp shoes to lounge in at the end of the day? -- your walking shoes are liable to be muddy and damp. A eye mask or functional equivalent for sleeping?-- because it will be daylight far past hiker midnight.
hike23
NewbieCake

Post by hike23 »

Great thought on the eye mask. I remember 2 years ago being at a state park near Traverse City and it being light till after 10. Yes I agree on camp shoes....always part of my standard pack gear.
kypaulfg
NewbieCake

Post by kypaulfg »

Space blanket it weighs nothing. Also I take 2oz Purell for quick hand cleaning and extra first aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hike23
NewbieCake

Post by hike23 »

Check....already there.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I didn't see it listed, but you should consider getting one of those "backpacks" to put all that stuff you have in! :P

On a serious note, a light pair of gloves could be appreciated if you get one of the cool/misty days at camp. I always bring a really thin pair, but they help.

On a less serious note, swim trunks, because if you never have, everyone should be able to claim they swam in Lake Superior.
Oh, and ear plugs, to hand out to all of the fellow campers in camp, so they don't hear your shrieks when you go in.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

If you plan to visit Windigo I recommend a cork that will stopper a 1 3/4" hole so you can prewash stuff in the laundry room sink. (In which case some liquid laundry soap is a good idea too.) Anymore, I always carry a piece of light visqueen or a large garbage bag or light disposable poncho just in case I run into another fool who forgot to bring any rain gear and is now stuck hiking in a 40º rain trying to get to a shelter.

P.S. Ibuprofen, a little brandy? If you happen to be a talented artist, a few sharpies might come in handy. I don't encourage shelter graffiti, in general, just if it worthwhile.
hike23
NewbieCake

Post by hike23 »

Great idea on the gloves and stopper. I had not thought of either of those. Added to list. Always have an extra trash bag so good to go on that one.

One question about shelters that I know was kinda answered in another thread. Sharing....I did some of the AT a couple years ago and it is common to fill a shelter before anyone pitches a tent. This got up to 10 people per shelter. I always bail because I am a light sleeper and all of the snoring, turning over, getting up to go out, and general different hours of sleep basically just kept me up all night. Not only that but whoever is on the trail the longest..i.e. thru hikers get to boot others if they want. So the question is, if I am the first to a shelter and the weather is good am I expected to share? I get it if it is cold, windy, or rainy etc. But if the weather is ok what is the protocol?

Thanks! Two weeks from today and I am there.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I would say the Isle Royale culture is to "fill the camp before the shelters" - Generally, hikers will tie their permits onto the handle of the door of a shelter. This somewhat serves as a "do not disturb/shelter taken" message; and often in places where you approach shelters from the back (like some at Moskey) people will hang something at the corner, etc, such that you can show the shelter is in use without needing to walk around.
Under normal, sunny weather, as long as there are campsites available (not flooded out, etc) then typically people will just find an available one of their choosing. Once camp is full, then you would be expected to share your site, be it tent pad or shelter. At that point, incoming campers will typically come door to door to find available space.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

One thing I've carried when planning to sleep in shelters is a large pack of soft earplugs. I pass them out to anyone who wants them with apologizes for my snoring.