Better to visit Isle Royale ASAP or later in September?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

jsuh84
NewbieCake

Better to visit Isle Royale ASAP or later in September?

Post by jsuh84 »

I'm jones'ing for a good backpacking trip (4-5 days) and Isle Royale has been on my mind for some time.

Considering general weather conditions and visiting trends, which would you recommend: going there in August or in September, especially after Labor day?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Better to visit Isle Royale ASAP or later in September?

Post by Ingo »

Only down side to Sept is the weather tends to turn with more blows and higher likelihood of boats being delayed. Went the 3rd week last year--the boat that brought us out in 8' seas was a day late going back, and we were a day late getting back at the end.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

"Traffic" (and that is a relative term) will be lighter in September, but the stores will be closed. On the other hand, August offers blueberries, rasberries and thimbleberries.
jsuh84
NewbieCake

Post by jsuh84 »

JerryB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 am "Traffic" (and that is a relative term) will be lighter in September, but the stores will be closed. On the other hand, August offers blueberries, rasberries and thimbleberries.
Thanks for dropping this!! Gotta hurry and find some time in August then!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

JerryB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 am "Traffic" (and that is a relative term) will be lighter in September, but the stores will be closed. On the other hand, August offers blueberries, rasberries and thimbleberries.
Forgot about the berries! But then I've never been when there's been many--always too early or too late.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The store, the lodge, the restaurants and The MV Sandy should be open throughout the first week of September. Labor Day Monday(the 4th this year) always signals the beginning of that last week. They will be buttoning up certain things and store will be short on many things. I suspect Saturday the 9th will be their last day. Call to be sure if it matters to you. Also the Isle Royale Queen drops from 7 days/week to just 2 on Labor Day week.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
huntertim214
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by huntertim214 »

Ingo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm Only down side to Sept is the weather tends to turn with more blows and higher likelihood of boats being delayed. Went the 3rd week last year--the boat that brought us out in 8' seas was a day late going back, and we were a day late getting back at the end.
Were you on the Queen during that passage? When I was on it earlier this month one of the crew members was talking about a trip with 8' seas and that it was one of the roughest that he had seen... sounded pretty exciting, lol.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

huntertim214 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am
Ingo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm Only down side to Sept is the weather tends to turn with more blows and higher likelihood of boats being delayed. Went the 3rd week last year--the boat that brought us out in 8' seas was a day late going back, and we were a day late getting back at the end.
Were you on the Queen during that passage? When I was on it earlier this month one of the crew members was talking about a trip with 8' seas and that it was one of the roughest that he had seen... sounded pretty exciting, lol.
Was on the Queen--not sure if he was referring to the same trip or not. Didn't seem THAT bad to me, but I do like rock'n and roll'n :).