Arrival, Ranger III and other questions

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Arrival, Ranger III and other questions

Post by vgeh »

Hello,
I am planning a trip to IR during Labor Day weekend. Will be taking Ranger III to and from Rock Harbor. Couple of questions.

1. Based on 6 hour ride estimation, Ranger would arrive RH at 3 PM. How long does it usually take to finish the orientation and get the permits.

2. How long does it take to get the backcountry camping permit? I might request a permit just in case if all the campsites are taken at the campground. Looks like i will be arriving late to most of the campsites on my trip, so chances of filed campsites are more.

3. Are there power outlets to charge the cell phone in the ferry? Would prefer to take 100% charged phone to the island. I will have my external powerbank but I would like to use other sources until I get to the Island.

4. Is the ride in Ranger rough? This will be my first long ferry ride.

5. Any paid phone service available in the island? I read cell phone won't be of any use in the island. I need to send a "I am safe" message or quick call to my parents overseas. I don't carry a satellite communication device.

Thanks
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Arrival, Ranger III and other questions

Post by hooky »

1. Based on 6 hour ride estimation, Ranger would arrive RH at 3 PM. How long does it usually take to finish the orientation and get the permits.

Orientation, the LNT talk, takes place on the ride over. I'd be surprised if there are very many other hikers on the boat. You should easily be on the trail before 4:00.

2. How long does it take to get the backcountry camping permit? I might request a permit just in case if all the campsites are taken at the campground. Looks like i will be arriving late to most of the campsites on my trip, so chances of filed campsites are more.

I wouldn't worry about the back country permit if the only concern is full campgrounds. They'll be plenty of room that time of the year.

3. Are there power outlets to charge the cell phone in the ferry? Would prefer to take 100% charged phone to the island. I will have my external powerbank but I would like to use other sources until I get to the Island.

Yes

4. Is the ride in Ranger rough? This will be my first long ferry ride.

It's a large vessel. Any weather big enough to make it a rough ride, would likely mean a delayed trip.

5. Any paid phone service available in the island? I read cell phone won't be of any use in the island. I need to send a "I am safe" message or quick call to my parents overseas. I don't carry a satellite communication device.

I would plan on no cell service. Some people have said they've had a weak signal on the greenstone.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

1. They do registration on the boat. One advantage of taking the Ranger III.
2. With backcountry permits they expect you to camp where you say you will (within a zone). They don't give them for "just in case". If a CG is full, just politely ask to share a site--it's not a problem.
4. The Ranger III is the biggest and most comfortable boat. Unless you're very prone to motion sickness you should be fine.
5. Maybe at the R.H. lodge, but not sure.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

We got our backcountry permit from the ranger on the boat. However, he was more interested in entertaining the visitors and just signed what we gave him, which said that we'd be in certain zones during our 10-day stay. Only at the end of the trip was over did we learn that backcountry permits are supposed to run like a train schedule. You have to be in specified zones at specified times. If you actually need a backcountry permit (which most people don't.) rather than a campground permit, I suggest you take it up with the rangers on arrival and get the full story.
vgeh
NewbieCake

Post by vgeh »

Thanks all for the answers.

Based on the answers, I don't think I need a backcountry permit. My reason to request one in the first place was full campground. Looks like I either would not see a full campground or if do, I would just ask to share a site.

Thanks again.