Shelters

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Shelters

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Just curious, why are there no shelters on the interior of the island? Noticed on our last trip that they are only on the campgrounds along superior.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Shelters

Post by Tom »

You only find shelters (and picnic tables) at sites on Superior that have docks. Lake Superior sites like Hugginin, Little Todd, and Lane Cove all lack shelters, as well.
I'm nearly certain it all comes down to logistics; it's just difficult to get materials inland and so it's limited to some location that a boat can deliver it.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

that's the conclusion we came to but we were not sure. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for confirming.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tom wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:58 pm You only find shelters (and picnic tables) at sites on Superior that have docks. Lake Superior sites like Hugginin, Little Todd, and Lane Cove all lack shelters, as well.
I'm nearly certain it all comes down to logistics; it's just difficult to get materials inland and so it's limited to some location that a boat can deliver it.
Then there's the obligatory exception to the rule. I got caught some time ago when I made the incorrect inverse statement to Tom's correct statement when I stated all sites with docks have shelters. Of course a close examination shows Hay Bay CG to be the exception (dock but no shelters).

I've never been to Hay Bay but now I'm curious. Is there a picnic table at the single tent site? The NPS Campground chart is not explicit regarding picnic tables. It's also unique in that while on the "mainland" it is inaccessible by trail. No picnic table would REALLY be roughing it for some boaters.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

There are 2 picnic tables; 1 at the dock and 1 at the tent site. The one at the tent site is staked down with a chain. I'm guessing to keep people from moving it to the dock.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I’d be willing to haul shelter supplies to the interior of the island if there was a team of people to do it with me and on that team there were people that had the skill knowledge to build the shelters. I love shelters :) On that note it would be nice if Hatchet Lake and Lake Richie had shelters.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Rafiki wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm I’d be willing to haul shelter supplies to the interior of the island if there was a team of people to do it with me and on that team there were people that had the skill knowledge to build the shelters. I love shelters :) On that note it would be nice if Hatchet Lake and Lake Richie had shelters.
A helicopter was used to transport new materials for the interior boardwalks. You get the materials in place I will build the shelters. :)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

There actually used to be a shelter at either Hatchet or South Desor. I remember it from the early 70's. It was much more primitive, made from whole logs with chinking, open front (no screens), shake roof and dirt floor. It was maybe half the size of those today.
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

As part of my long ongoing project to create a history book on the trails and campgrounds here is a couple of things on shelters.
The chart below is from a 1965 park guide published by the National Park Service:
1965 Lakeside Camping Accommodations FROM BROCHURE.PNG
Of note here is:
- treated running water at Daisy Farm
- a community shelter at Malone Bay

Lake Desor campground was located in a different place as shown below:
1965 Lake Desor East.PNG
1965 Lake Desor East.PNG (36.89 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
Based on the documents I have, it was moved to the current location by approximately 1974

Hatchet Lake had a spur trail on the north side that led to a “Patrol Cabin”
1965 Hatchet Lake Trail OLD and Hatchet Lake Spur Trail.PNG
1965 Hatchet Lake Trail OLD and Hatchet Lake Spur Trail.PNG (99.05 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
The patrol Cabin and trail show up until at least 1985

These pictures are from “The Wolves of Isle Royale” by L. David Mech 1966
Fauna Series 7 Hatchet patrol cabin.PNG
Fauna Series 7 Hatchet patrol cabin.PNG (101.75 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
Fauna Series 7 Old and New lean-tos.PNG
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

The one in figure 22 is what I remember. It must have been 1975. I also remember a water faucet at Daisy Farm during the same time period.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Midwest Ed wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 pm The one in figure 22 is what I remember. It must have been 1975. I also remember a water faucet at Daisy Farm during the same time period.
I remember a cabin just before the dock at Daisy that had a spigot. Simialr to the ranger cabin at Belle Isle.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Yes, the cabin was just to the left as you walked off the dock. A ranger lived there. That was back when it was on an open field of .... grass and Daisy's
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Wow! I’m buying that book when you’re done!

I wonder if the inland lean-tos were remnants of the CCC days. One of the interesting takeaways for me is that fire pits were everywhere. Granted there were probably just a few thousand visitors back then but fire is one of the things I miss when I go to the island.
MikeT
IR Pro

Post by MikeT »

Below is a picture of Daisy Farm from a 1963 postcard.
Daisy Farm 1963 Postcard CROPPED.jpg
Things have changed a lot in terms of fires (and a lot of other things). The text below is in the rules section of the 1953 park brochure:
"Keep your camp clean. Whenever possible burn garbage in your campfire; place cans and residue in containers where provided. If none are available, bury refuse or place in pit."
Imagine what a mess that would make!
Mike T.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

MikeT wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm Below is a picture of Daisy Farm from a 1963 postcard.
Daisy Farm 1963 Postcard CROPPED.jpg

Things have changed a lot in terms of fires (and a lot of other things). The text below is in the rules section of the 1953 park brochure:
"Keep your camp clean. Whenever possible burn garbage in your campfire; place cans and residue in containers where provided. If none are available, bury refuse or place in pit."
Imagine what a mess that would make!
I don't remember those shelters at Daisy from the 70's. There were many shelters at Daisy but none that close to the Lake, but there was one shelter off to the left, fairly close to the lake, sort of behind the ranger cabin.

While I'm sure regulations substantially changed after the 1976 designation as a Wilderness area, the LNT policies were already being adopted before that (at least I can attest to 1975).