Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops for 2018

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops for 2018

Post by Keweenaw »

Registration is now open for the following IRKPA (Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association) workshops:

Isle Royale Botany workshop (June 4-9): Year #14 for this Island workshop (Rock Harbor area)
The fee of $699 ($25 discount for IRKPA members) includes:
  • Meals (Tues. lunch - Sat. lunch) and park fees.
  • Transportation to/from Houghton via the NPS ferry, Ranger III, and while on Isle Royale.
  • Camping in a group campsite (Rock Harbor).
  • Two IRKPA botany publications.

Workshop activities: After a Mon. (June 4) meeting in Houghton MI, we'll ferry to Isle Royale on Tues. We'll spend 3 full days exploring diverse habitats including boreal/swamp forests, bogs, and bedrock shoreline/ridge tops (with amazing views!). Using field guides and dichotomous keys, you'll learn to identify the Island's spring flora ranging from showier plants, such as orchids, to less conspicuous plants such as grasses, sedges, and club-mosses. We'll be walking mainly on hiking trails at a slow to moderate pace (covering ~7 mi on the longest day). On Sat. we'll sail back to Houghton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keweenaw Botany workshop (July 24-26): Second year (Copper Harbor area, Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula)
Fee is $375 ($25 discount for IRKPA members)

Workshop activities: We'll briefly meet July 24 (Tues) a.m. in Copper Harbor. From there we'll start our 3 days of exploring diverse habitats, including boreal & swamp forests, fens, lakes, and bedrock shoreline/ridge tops with amazing views! Using field guides and dichotomous keys, you'll learn to identify the Keweenaw's flora ranging from showier plants to less conspicuous plants such as grasses and sedges. We'll be walking mainly on hiking trails at a slow to moderate pace (covering ~5 mi on the longest day).

These workshops are very popular and sometimes fill up fast, so if you are interested, be sure to register ASAP. I have attached copies of the flyers for both workshops. Feel free to copy and post anywhere you think people may be interested! All profits from these workshops go to the IRKPA general fund and are used to help our parks.

Click on: http://irkpa.org/get-involved/workshops for details about the workshops and how to register.
Attachments
final Keweenaw flyer 10 Jan 2018.pdf
(215.05 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
final ISRO flyer 10 Jan 2018.pdf
(247.61 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops for 2018

Post by Keweenaw »

UPDATE:

Both workshops are now filled, but waiting lists have been started; if you want your name added to the waiting list(s), contact Janet at the email address on the flyers
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather