Vegetation on Island in Early June?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

LunaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Vegetation on Island in Early June?

Post by LunaHiker »

We are planning to go to the island May 31st through June 4th and were curious if the deciduous trees are usually leafed out by then. I know a lot of that would depend on the weather. I have also heard the wildflowers are the best in June. Would we be too early in June to see them?

Thanks!
"The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Vegetation on Island in Early June?

Post by Ingo »

That week last year the trees were starting to leaf on the west end. Saw some flowers but not a lot.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

LunaHiker wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:24 am We are planning to go to the island May 31st through June 4th and were curious if the deciduous trees are usually leafed out by then. I know a lot of that would depend on the weather. I have also heard the wildflowers are the best in June. Would we be too early in June to see them?
Your schedule is only one week ahead of this year's Isle Royal Botany Workshop. Maybe Keweenaw will see your post or I suggest contacting the IRKPA that sponsor the workshop.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

The trees along the Greenstone may have started leafing out. If you are in Rock Harbor, a hike along the Stoll trail will usually result in Calypso Orchids.
LunaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by LunaHiker »

Thank you for your help everyone. I emailed the lady who was the contact for the Botany Workshop and she suggested shifting our dates further by a week so that is what we will be doing.
"The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn." - Ralph Waldo Emerson