Are the showers and laundry open by mid May?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Are the showers and laundry open by mid May?

Post by Stephen »

Arriving on the Isle on May 14 and staying for 8 days. Just wondering if the showers and laundry will be available that early when I get ready to leave. I assume no but thought I would ask. Hope the weather is a little warmer then the record cold April we have been having in WI.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Are the showers and laundry open by mid May?

Post by Ingo »

Maybe, if you're lucky, but don't count on it.
R.H. store opens 5/25, Windigo 6/5. They'll sell things early (including showers) if/when they have things working and are not otherwise tied up getting opened up.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the quick reply. I am starting and finishing from Windigo this trip, so no shower and laundry for me this time.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I'd invest in a Sun Shower if you can handle the extra weight (I kayak, so I have that luxury). Showers have never been open when I've been there in early May.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

https://www.rei.com/product/758045/sea- ... ket-shower You want one of these my friend. Combine it with a stove and some boiled water, you’ll be one happy camper. I take a shower every day after I hike. This is my favorite camping possession. It is light too. Not to mention, very affordable. I never leave on a backpacking trip without it.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

I have one of those Sea to Summit shower bags and it works great. Used it 2016 with unheated water but kept me clean. Last year used towelettes every day but it was nice to take a shower at the end of the trip at Rock Harbor, despite the fact the shower was basically filthy. I saw the cleaning guy take a mop to the showers later and his water looked like chocolate pudding.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

What’s there not to love about this? :lol:

Still probably one of the best showers I ever had, in spite of hair clogs, spiders, and standing water
Attachments
20810803-DDBD-419D-9375-C080A8D4E71D.jpeg
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Also just ordered one of the pocket showers. I’m doing a 12 day trip and the Windigo showers apparently won’t be open yet. I’m taking the rehydrating wet wipes but that won’t cut it for 12 days.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Stephen wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 am I saw the cleaning guy take a mop to the showers later and his water looked like chocolate pudding.
I used to have to clean those showers--worst job ever!

I use a small Ruffwear doggie bowl for sponge baths (weighs 1 oz). Or a larger collapsible Seattle Sports bowl on canoe trips.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Wet wipes go a long way and are not as heavy as a portable shower. Although you do have to pack them out and they create a bit of trash. You also want to remember to start with your face then work your way down with the wipe (not the other way around haha :oops:

Although the showers in RH were a little rough looking they felt amazing after 6 days.