2009 Trips

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: 2009 Trips

Post by Tom »

I'm planning on doing the Minong to one end, and the Greenstone back to the other end.
I'm sure all others who have hiked the Minong as well will recommend to start on the East side (McCargoe Cove) and hike West. Then you can also drop some of your weight at Windigo before you go, and not have to carry it up and down and up and down and up and down over the Minong Ridge...

I'll admit it's a hike I've thought about taking on some time... But since I just hiked the Minong last year (and the pain is still in my memory), it will take some time before my brain is convinced it's a good idea.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum!
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

So, I think I've got my mid-July itinerary set. I plan on heading to Rock Harbor from Copper Harbor on the Queen IV. Once there, I'll hike to Daisy Farm. I'll then take the Voyageur II to Malone Bay, where I'll spend the day exploring the area. The next day, I'll hike to South Lake Desor campground. The next day will be somewhat of a backtrack for three miles and then on to Todd Harbor. A hike along the Minong the next day will take me to McCargoe Cove. A jaunt around Chickenbone Lake and Lake Ritchie the next day will find me at Moskey Basin. My final night will be spent at Three Mile Campground (which, by the way, is one of my favorite places to pitch a tent. The tent campsites are perfectly placed, in my opinion.). My final morning finds me hiking back to Rock Harbor via the Tobin Harbor. That's 7 nights, 8 days. I think it's pretty doable. I wanted to hike the southwest corner, but it would take me eight to nine days to get back to Rock Harbor and I just couldn't swing it. Any thoughts on my trip?
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

We're going in late August/early Sept. This will be our first time to take our kids. Itinerary as it stands now is below, though we'd be open to suggestions, especially if they let us experience other parts of the park (we usually stay McCargo and east).

Day 1 - Boat from CH / taxi to Chippewa Harbor
Day 2 - Hike to Lake Ritchie (short, but we have kiddos)
Day 3 - Hike to McCargo Cove
Day 4 - Stay at McCargo Cove / I'll do the Todd Harbor-to-Hatchet Lake-to McCargo loop while they play around McCargo
Day 5 - Hike to Daisy Farm
Day 6 - Hike to Rock Harbor / ferry to CH

Really looking forward to the trip... We hadn't planned on doing a big vacation this year, but an airline bumped us from our return flight home at Christmas and gave us $300/each travel vouchers. I booked our flight to Marquette ($400 cheaper than Houghton) today.

Don
jkahler
NewbieCake

Post by jkahler »

Tom wrote: I'm sure all others who have hiked the Minong as well will recommend to start on the East side (McCargoe Cove) and hike West. Then you can also drop some of your weight at Windigo before you go, and not have to carry it up and down and up and down and up and down over the Minong Ridge...

I'll admit it's a hike I've thought about taking on some time... But since I just hiked the Minong last year (and the pain is still in my memory), it will take some time before my brain is convinced it's a good idea.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. Lots of elevation changes then? I'm 30 y/o and in pretty decent shape as I work a physical job.