First timer...suggestions?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hebelerj
NewbieCake

First timer...suggestions?

Post by hebelerj »

hello everyone, i'll be graduating from college in a few weeks and i'm looking to make this trip ASAP. i don't when i'll get a chance to do something like this after settling down with a career after graduating. i'm looking to stay 5 or 6 days, most likely by myself, on IR and was wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of destinations and the sites and sounds of the place.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: First timer...suggestions?

Post by Kevinl »

Are you coming to the island from Michigan or Minnesota?
hebelerj
NewbieCake

Post by hebelerj »

i'll be coming from michigan, leaving from copper harbor.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

Are you going to backpack or canoe/kayak? Have you done a lot of backcountry travel before Isle Royale? Any specific goals for the trip?
hebelerj
NewbieCake

Post by hebelerj »

I'll be backpacking, looking to do some fishing from the shorelines. my goals for the trip is to make it to the west end and top the highest peak(if you think thats feasable within a week) and to just enjoy the experience of being out in the wilderness. i haven't done alot of backpacking but i'm an athletic individual and have been hunting, fishing, and camping all my life.

thanks again, i appreciate your help
hebelerj
NewbieCake

Post by hebelerj »

so here's my plan. 99% sure i'll be taking the ferry out of copper harbor on monday on may 18th and plan to come back on monday the 25th. this is my plan of attack:
Mon. - rock harbor to three mile - 2.7 miles
Tues. - three mile to daisy farm - 4.4 miles
Wed. - daisy farm to lake richie - 5.7
Thurs. - Lake richie to chickenbone west - 3.6
Fri. - chickenbone west to chickenbone east - 1.8
Sat. - chickenbone east to daisy farm - 6.1
Sun. - daisy farm to three mile - 4.4
Mon. - three mile to rock harbor - 2.7

i plan to do some fishing from the shorelines and what not, but what do you guys think? is this feasable or am i out of my mind?
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

That's a great plan, BUT avoid East Chickenbone at all costs. It is probably the worst camp site on the island. Sits high on a hill with no shade at that time of year and the water supply is quite a long way away at the bottom of a hill.

I'd suggest you either try to get over to McCargo Cove or go from W. Chickenbone across the Greenstone to Daisy Farm or perhaps back to Moskey Basin.
Last edited by Nick on Fri May 01, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I agree with nick, I would skip camping at East Chicknebone , go to McCargoe Cove and hike through Chickenbone on your way to Daisy Farm. Make a stop at the Mt. Ojibway Tower, great views!!

You can fish from shore at Richie and Chickenbone and Livermore.

We will be working at the Visitor Center in Rock Harbor when you get there, stop in and say hello!!
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

johnhens wrote:I agree with nick,
EMTs responded to Nick's house at 2:59 PM EST. They found Nick collapsed on the floor in front of his computer. While the Medical Examiner has not yet issued a final cause, it is believed he died from shock! It looks like JohnH finally got the last word! :twisted:
spmoore
NewbieCake

Post by spmoore »

My first backingpacking trip also was on IR and I was 44 overwieght smoker with two teenagers so you should do just fine. I'd suggest Lane Cove. It was my favorite on that first trip.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

spmoore wrote:My first backingpacking trip also was on IR and I was 44 overwieght smoker with two teenagers so you should do just fine. I'd suggest Lane Cove. It was my favorite on that first trip.
I agree on Lane Cove as a beautiful, tranquil place... First trip with my son we hiked Rock Harbor to Lane Cove via the Tobin Harbor trail, and had a picture of us taken by a passing hiker on Mt. Franklin...super photo spot!
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

hebelerj -
Frankly, I think you might be underselling yourself on mileage. While most folks OVER-estimate, you say you're just finishing school and are in decent health. I don't think you'll have a problem.
A couple thoughts.
- Yes, by all means, avoid East Chickenbone. It's the IR Armpit.
- I'd consider the extra couple miles to stay a night at McCargoe. Chickenbone West is nice, sure, and probably better fishing, but McCargoe is... well... It's McCargoe. Hiking from McCargoe to Daisy Farm is not a bad day on trail, frankly.
- Also, Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor is 'easy' in a day, especially if you cut over to Tobin Harbor trail at Suzy's Cave. Your schedule doesn't look like you gave yourself a day at Rock Harbor. While it can be more of a town later in the season, during late May it should be pretty quiet (I'd doubt you'd have more than one or two pleasure boats at the Marina), and the cows will likely have the calves around that area. Plus, if you like the historical aspect, there is a lot to see/interpretive trails that are fun. I don't know if I would rule it out..
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Ditto on East Chickenbone, although its location has been something of a positive for us... It is a good stopping point for bio break and snack when we are en route from McCargo Cove to Daisy Farm or Three Mile.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Couple other recommendations... Get a cinnamon roll at The Pines to take with you on the boat, and make a stop at Harbor Haus before you get out of town.