First timer trip from McCargoe Cove to Windigo?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Steve
NewbieCake

First timer trip from McCargoe Cove to Windigo?

Post by Steve »

We are arriving from Grand Portage and have Mon Aug 10th through Sat Aug 15 - so 5 nights and 6 days - taking the Voyageur ll.
It was suggested to us that a nice route during this time of year (that may also be less crowded) is McCargoe Cove to Windigo.
There are 2 of us going. We are in good physical shape, but relatively new at backcountry camping.
A concern is that we want to enjoy some of the scenery and not have to be hiking all the time.
Is this route still suitable for the timeframe and distance or are there other recommendations?

Thank you!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: First timer trip from McCargoe Cove to Windigo?

Post by philranger »

McCargo to Windigo is very doable in 6 days. If you hiked the Greenstone, you could stop at W. Chickenbone, Hatchet Lake, S. Desor and into Windigo. If you took the Minong, you could go to Todd Harbor, Little Todd, N. Desor to Windigo. If you cut out a camp, you could visit Huginnen Cove. The hike from Desor to Windigo is a long one.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Steve
NewbieCake

Post by Steve »

Thank you. Is it nicer doing the internal lake route or the external Lake Superior route? Are either or less flies or less people etc? I assume it is cooler on the Superior side as well.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Steve, I agree with philranger, that route is very doable in the time frame you have mentioned. My buddy and I did that same exact route a few years back and we did it in fewer days than what you have planned. I only wish we had an extra day to do the Huginnen Cove loop, as that is still one part of the island I have never visited. Enjoy!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Yes, it's doable, and the distances from campsite to campsite there (except for that last leg, which really isn't all that bad; but it feels long) aren't bad either. I'm an early riser (at least when camping) and a couple years ago, when doing that trip solo, on the Minong, I was in camp every day by 1 pm, and I'm not a hurry kind of backpacker. I dawdle. I stop for pictures. I take side trips (like the Minong Mine). I smoke cigarettes.

You can do the Greenstone, the Minong, or a combination. The Minong is a bit harder, but you get stunning views and campsites on the big lake (I love Little Todd) and less people and you might get good breezes to keep the bugs away. Cool interior lake campgrounds on the Greenstone, and more hiking through woods instead of rocky ridges. If you start on the Minong and go south by Hatchet Lake to the Greenstone, you'll miss the best parts of the Minong.

Have a great time.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

but relatively new at backcountry camping.
And pack light. Dump everything that isn't necessary. It'll feel better.