Evening Beverage

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Steve
NewbieCake

Evening Beverage

Post by Steve »

I usually enjoy an evening adult beverage. Beer is the first choice, but i know way to heavy. One year on a short trip my Lady friend had me bring a box of wine. Ridiculous too heavy (I guess unless we drink it the first night)

Any suggestions on how to carry a nightly beverage with weight in mind? Or do in need to skip my ritual? - I'm there for 5 nights. Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Evening Beverage

Post by Ingo »

Well you can't do anything about the weight of the beverage itself--I'd carry whatever in a Platypus. Don't think you can get much lighter for a liquid container.

I once met a couple portaging a wooden keg of wine in the BWCA. Now that's serious!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

The problem with beer is that once you've finished it you're left over with a can or bottle to carry the rest of the way. However, i have packed beer with me before in the Porcupine mountains. I would suggest a higher alcohol beer such as the Sierra Nevada Barley wine or Bells Two Hearted Ale (both of these beers seem to fit the north woods well). The higher alcohol will help to keep it stable in heat, and they are just as delicious at 50 degrees as they are at 33 (i like to chill them in Lake superior while cooking dinner). Sure you'll have to carry a couple of bottles, but unless you're really concerned with weight it will be worth it (especially while imbibing during a beautiful Lake Superior sunset!).

If that doesn't suit you, you can always carry a small flask or Platypus (as mentioned above) of the hard stuff and mix it with your favorite drink mix for a lighter weight alternative.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

My speciality is a Nalgene flask (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=61) and some good 12-year scotch. Works like a charm, and lasts for a 5 day backpacking trip no problem.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

When my buddy and I were on the island in 2007 he brought along a small plastic "flask" and filled it with Limoncello. We tied a string around the neck, threw the bottle into Lane Cove (it was cold in May) and let it cool for a couple hours. It wasn't as cold as being in a refrigerator or the freezer but, it still tasted pretty refreshing after dinner. Check out the 6th picture down on this page: http://briansplace.ynt1.com/backpack/20 ... 07ir_2.php :)