Books I read on the Island

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Books I read on the Island

Post by johnhens »

This last trip, particularly the first 2 weeks, I read a lot. In particular, I read Candy Peterson's new book, From the Wolf's Eye about her experiences with the Wold Project on IR. Good insight into the research from the perspective of a person who handled a lot of the logistic's and support of the research, a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the Wolves of IR.
I also read Lake Superior Journal written by Jim Marshall. It is somewhat of a historical prespective of folks who made their living on Superior and boating and shipping on Superior. Of note was a section on Roy Oberg, the former Captain of the Voyageur, who navigated using a compass and stopwatch around Isle Royale and is said to be the most experienced Captain to pilot the Voyageur. Other folks from Isle Royale include the Merrits of Merrit Lane, the Sivertsons, longtime owners of the Voyageur and Wenonahs and otheres.

I read Backtracking by Foot, Canoe and Subaru along the Lewis and Clark Trail by Benjamin Long. For those interested in the L&C Expedition, this book tells more in detail of the Natural History that L7C encounter while on their trip. I learned quite a bit about the animals they encountered as well as more insight into their trip. I will read this one again!!

We took to the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich is an enjoyable book about Life in the Maine Woods in the 1940's. This couple lived a life I would have enjoyed and I suspect many who frequent this site would have enjoyed. It gives insight into a life much simpler and self reliant.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Books I read on the Island

Post by Nick »

When did you learn to read? I'm so proud of you. I know Trish and Niners were getting pretty tired reading you bedtime stories at night. :mrgreen:

I read "Into the Wild" by Krakauer. Nothing like reading about a guy starving to death in the wild. I also read Nevada Barr's book "Winter Study." I like reading her IR books while on IR. I was kind of disappointed in how it ended, though.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Nick wrote: I read "Into the Wild" by Krakauer. Nothing like reading about a guy starving to death in the wild. I also read Nevada Barr's book "Winter Study." I like reading her IR books while on IR. I was kind of disappointed in how it ended, though.
Nick, Books on Tape does not constitute "reading". Good thing Kat was there to show you how to turn on and turn off the player! :lol:
sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

My wife and I only brought one book each and I wish I had brought at least two, because neither of us wanted to read the others book. I brought "American Gangster" by Max Allan Collins and I would say it was a good read. It was a book that was written based on the screenplay for the movie - which I have not seen.
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

JohnHens and Nick, I seriously am laughing aloud again. I had to tell my girlfriend why I was laughing at the computer. That was a classic exchange.

Nick, "Into the Wild" is a hilarious book. At least while they get lost, stuck in storms, and nearly starve to death they maintain a good sense of humor! Such as:

Author: "Where's your Nalgene?"
Friend: "Chucked it."
Author: "Chucked it? What do you mean? Why did you throw it?"
Friend: "It was too heavy."
Author: "You need that for water!"
Friend: "..."

I myself read "Border Songs," by Jim Lynch, on the recommendation from a friend who has never referred me to a bad book. It's easily my favorite of the year. It's about people who live along the American-Canadian border in the current time and how their lives have changed due to terrorism, etc. But it's tells the stories of about 6 different people and ties them all together. It sounds boring, but I assure you it's not. You can check it out here: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780307271174
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

johnhens wrote:
Nick wrote: Nick, Books on Tape does not constitute "reading". Good thing Kat was there to show you how to turn on and turn off the player! :lol:
I tried books on tape, but the tape kept getting stuck in the machine. It didn't matter if I used regular Scotch tape, the transparent stuff, or the tape that was sticky on both sides!
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Nick wrote:
johnhens wrote:
Nick wrote: Nick, Books on Tape does not constitute "reading". Good thing Kat was there to show you how to turn on and turn off the player! :lol:
I tried books on tape, but the tape kept getting stuck in the machine. It didn't matter if I used regular Scotch tape, the transparent stuff, or the tape that was sticky on both sides!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

fonix, I just finished reading "Into Th Wild" a few weeks ago and I agree, it was a hilarious book. I also found myself laughing out loud and having to explain to my wife what was so funny. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the outdoors, especially backpackers, as there is so much they could relate to.
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

fonixmunkee wrote: Nick, "Into the Wild" is a hilarious book. At least while they get lost, stuck in storms, and nearly starve to death they maintain a good sense of humor! Such as:

Author: "Where's your Nalgene?"
Friend: "Chucked it."
Author: "Chucked it? What do you mean? Why did you throw it?"
Friend: "It was too heavy."
Author: "You need that for water!"
Friend: "..."

I myself read "Border Songs," by Jim Lynch, on the recommendation from a friend who has never referred me to a bad book. It's easily my favorite of the year. It's about people who live along the American-Canadian border in the current time and how their lives have changed due to terrorism, etc. But it's tells the stories of about 6 different people and ties them all together. It sounds boring, but I assure you it's not. You can check it out here: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780307271174
Hey Fonnix,

Are we confusing Into the Wild with A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson? Into the Wild is about Chris McCandless who died in an abandoned bus in Alaska. The book by Bryson about his Appalachian Trail hike was a hoot.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Nick wrote: Hey Fonnix,

Are we confusing Into the Wild with A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson? Into the Wild is about Chris McCandless who died in an abandoned bus in Alaska. The book by Bryson about his Appalachian Trail hike was a hoot.
We sure are! Yikes, my bad. Yes, my reference about a "hilarious book" was in regards to Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods."

"Into the Wild" is an excellent book, and also an excellent movie. I highly recommend it's viewing.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Oops. I made the same mistake as well. Although I read both books, I too was referring to "A Walk In The Woods" as being a hilarious book. :oops: