Google Maps website appears to have updated...

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Google Maps website appears to have updated...

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I've been going to various mapping sites that provide aerial/satellite imagery for a few years now checking out Isle Royale. Tonight I noticed that the Google Maps site seems to have been updated. I was able to zoom in much closer than I recall, and most of the campsites and such seem to be labeled, all look pretty accurate. Maybe I'm wrong and never zoomed in that close before but I'm pretty sure this is a recent update. Let me know what you think... :?:
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Google Maps website appears to have updated...

Post by Backpacker534 »

Just looked at Google maps and I'd have to say I agree with your observations. I have zoomed in on the island before and don't remember seeing that kind of detail. Hopefully others will add more names, descriptions and photos to the map.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Google Maps website appears to have updated...

Post by fonixmunkee »

I know this is an old thread, but upnorthjeeper, you are correct, as I just checked out IR on Google Maps. Additionally, the completely awesome (free) application Google Earth has been updated as well. Very, very handy. It's also got a lot of overlays for pictures and Wikipedia entries from users. Very cool.