time to kill in Grand Portage area

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hammertoe
NewbieCake

time to kill in Grand Portage area

Post by hammertoe »

I have a day and a half to kill in Grand Portage area while waiting to take the ferry over to IR. Any suggestions on places of interest? I'm not one to sit around wasting time
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: time to kill in Grand Portage area

Post by moss13 »

How about going over to Grand Portage State Park. There is a short hike to arguably the best waterfall in the state! It is very nice. There is also a fairly short (mile and a half) but very steep hike called Mt. Josephine. That is right in Grand Portage as well. The view from the top is incredible. You can see Isle Royale from there plus other islands. Or you could go check out the Grand Portage Monument which is a great way to go back in time and see some of the history of the area. Good stuff.
"The Island Is Calling"
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

My brother was just up there and says we have to hike up to the falls! Not sure if we'll have time or not.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I like to go over to Grand Marias and wander around. There is a nice outfitter there and I always seem to find that one thing that I didn't bring with me or to pick up a little something to send to my wife---kind of a down payment on next year's trip since I'm usually gone for her birthday. There are also lots of other shops and the Angry Trout has become a traditional last meal for me.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Grand Marais is my favorite small town in Minnesota. There is much more to do and see but if you are limited to Grand Portage, Grand Marais is a 40 minute drive southwest which could be a problem. Unless you are coming from Canada, you would have to go through Grand Marais anyway to get to Grand Portage.
"The Island Is Calling"
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Like others have said, a quick drive up to Pigeon Falls (Grand Portage State Park) would be in order. (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2535 ... 1115nXvSml)
The river is the US/Canadian border, and the park is quite easily accessible.

I guess it somewhat depends on what you want to do and see. Highway 61 along the North Shore has a good number of state parks, all with great trails and rivers. I'm not sure there is a bad one in the lot; and if you really have a day you could drive down to Gooseberry (about 100mi) and work your way back, visiting park to park. (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html)
That or pick any one (Manitou, Temperance, Cascade, etc) and you'll find plenty of trails. Speaking of trails, any segment of the Superior Hiking Trail makes for good walking, too..

Grand Marais is the nearest "business" community, per se, to buy knick-knacks and kitch. Artist's Point is also a nice hike out onto the rocks.