Nice to meet you all...

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Nice to meet you all...

Post by Nitsirk »

Greetings,

I found this site a week or two ago and have been lurking around ever since. It's time to say, "Hi!" and introduce myself. My hiking partner and I have been to IR once before (perhaps 7 or 8 years ago?) and are returning again Aug 16th through 21st +/- a day. I just want to say thank you to all of you for the wealth of information on this site. I plan to be no stranger and will be posting my trip plans once I figure them out as well as posting pics and trip report afterward. This site is just great and I thank not only the people who run it but also those who share all of their info and experiences.

We will be taking the Queen into Rock Harbor on Sunday 8/16 and out on Friday 8/21 as the plan stands right now. My map is due to arrive next week (I lost the map from our last trip) and I will be bouncing some itineraries off of you all after I get some ideas.

Nice to meet you all and thank you for all the awesome info on this site.

Nitsirk
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Nice to meet you all...

Post by Tom »

Welcome Nitsirk!
As with any endeavor, you get out of it what you put in.. So, as you've started, continue to join the fun, share your thoughts, enjoy the wisdom of others. None of us are experts, we just love the place!

Tom

PS: Makes me think we need to start a "How'd you pick your screenname" thread. For instance, Nistirk could be Kristin, backward... Hmmm. TrailGoat, well, no idea. I'm dying to know what a FonixMunkee is. Can you pet that? Should you?
Obviously, some are our "trail" names, those pseudonyms we take on when a pack is on our shoulders.

Me, well, I went with the dot.com philosophy. Yep. It's my real name... And in a bunch of years when there are a million registered users on this site, people will think... "Dude. He's cool. His handle is only three letters!!! :lol: "
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Welcome to the forums, Nitsirk!

It's true, there's a lot of info on these forums, but most importantly, there's a lot of great people here.

Feel free to add your trip report after you return...we love trip reports and pictures!
JCoburn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by JCoburn »

I must also say hello! I have been lurking for quite some time...since my last IR trip in 05 actually. It is nice to see the community is so good to one another and so tight knit. I owe much of my life & family to IR. My grandfather once told me that "there are lessons on that island" when I was young. I thought it was a cheesy statement at the time. He had taken his new bride, (my grandmother) to the island years ago. Years later my father was taken & my father then took all of us at various times (my brother has been ten times, both sisters once each, this is my fourth trip) throughout the years.

My grandfather was right, there are lessons on Isle Royale. When my feet touch the soil the world is different, I am different. I have learned a lot about life on IR and now I am beginning the process with my family. My Fiance will be going with me for the first time in mid Aug. I hope I have not built up the experience for her too much but I figure that IR never diappoints so it should not be a problem. To share such a place with someone is amazing and I am looking toward thsi trip more than any one in the past.

it is great to have a forum to speak with people who understand the island and all its greatness. When I speak of it to the uninitiated they seem to shrug it off...that is until they arrive! it is a pleasure to be a part of this forum! Thanks
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

JCoburn wrote:I must also say hello! I have been lurking for quite some time...since my last IR trip in 05 actually. It is nice to see the community is so good to one another and so tight knit. I owe much of my life & family to IR. My grandfather once told me that "there are lessons on that island" when I was young. I thought it was a cheesy statement at the time. He had taken his new bride, (my grandmother) to the island years ago. Years later my father was taken & my father then took all of us at various times (my brother has been ten times, both sisters once each, this is my fourth trip) throughout the years.

My grandfather was right, there are lessons on Isle Royale. When my feet touch the soil the world is different, I am different. I have learned a lot about life on IR and now I am beginning the process with my family. My Fiance will be going with me for the first time in mid Aug. I hope I have not built up the experience for her too much but I figure that IR never diappoints so it should not be a problem. To share such a place with someone is amazing and I am looking toward thsi trip more than any one in the past.

it is great to have a forum to speak with people who understand the island and all its greatness. When I speak of it to the uninitiated they seem to shrug it off...that is until they arrive! it is a pleasure to be a part of this forum! Thanks
Isle Royale is a special place, it is hard to put a finger on why it is, at least for me. But one thing I have found among those who go, you either become someone attached to it or, as you say, shrug it off. The folks here who post are of a kind, many come from different backgrounds, yet somehow who you are at home doesn't matter once you step foot on the Island. Glad you have discovered the magic of Isle Royale, looking forward to your TR!!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Welcome, Nitsirk! You'll definitely enjoy this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people on this site. Since I've been here I can't remember anyone posting a question that wasn't answered, or at least given a response to help the poster in finding an answer.

Tom, I agree with you about the "How'd you get your screen name?" thread. I too have wondered about several of the screen names I see on this forum, especially Trailgoat. :lol: