Richie Lake and blue/green algae blooms

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

mikep
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Richie Lake and blue/green algae blooms

Post by mikep »

Planning my third canoe trip to the IR for mid-late August (I know its late planning), but back in 07 there was a problem in August-Sept with an algae bloom at Richie lake which banned drinking and body contact. Anybody know of any problems last year or currently with the inland lakes. Planning a trip from Moskey - Richie-Intermediate and possibly Wood Lake, then back again. I may be crazy, but I'd rather do the 2 mile portage than that Chippewa Harbor-Whittlesey portage any day.

Mike
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Richie Lake and blue/green algae blooms

Post by Ingo »

You're crazy Mike :D ! Or maybe it's me--I'd rather do ANY portage over Richie/Moskey!
If you haven't been to Wood Lake you should get there. But I'm guessing you have if you've done the Chippewa/Whittlesey portage. As I'm going over the ridge on the Duncan/Tobin portage I'll be thinking about how glad I am I'm not going into Richie--maybe it won't seem so bad then :) !
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
mikep
NewbieCake

Post by mikep »

Well that confirms it. Let me know how that Tobin Harbor portage is. I've heard that's the most difficult on the island. Maybe I went from the wrong direction on the Chippewa portage :) Taking my 13 yr old son for his second trip, his first was when he was 9. In 2007, my bother and I did the Chippewa Harbor loop through Wood Lk, then to Richie. We had to bring ALL the water from Intermediate :( ,then when we got to the Moskey portage, the trail was closed due to a forest fire (sept 07). We knew about the fire prior but had been given a green light by the ranger after an 1.5hrs of discussion. I apologize, this should be on TR..., but to make a long story short, went through the caution tape only to come across a three man fire crew doing mop up operations. They told us Moskey Basin camp was closed also. With a strong easterly coming in we laid low until they left and had all of Moskey Basin that night to ourselves. It was sweet.

Mike
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

The Chippewa-Whittlesey portage was really not that bad in my opinion. When we did it back in Oct. of 2006, we loved that route. I really liked the portage from Whittlesey to Wood Lake. Very scenic with the fall colors. The portage from portage from Chippewa Harbor to Lake Richie via the Indian Portage Trail is 1.2 miles. That was a long haul but a nice path to walk on. I would still choose this route over the Moskey-Richie portage any day.

We were camped at Chippewa so after exploring Wood Lake, it was getting dark and we still had to portage and paddle through Wood, Whittlesey and Chippewa Harbor back to camp. By the time we got to the Whittelsey-Chippewa portage it was pitch black. Thank god for our headlamps. I was portaging the canoe with the headlamp for the only light. That trail is very rocky in spots but if you don't rush, it is not bad. So then we paddled all of Chippewa Harbor in total darkness with the guide of our headlamps. There were 3 of us in the canoe. There was no wind and it was a very smooth paddle thank goodness. We would not have made it back in time if it were windy.

It was a learning experience to say the least. It was fun and scary at the same time.
"The Island Is Calling"
mikep
NewbieCake

Post by mikep »

I just remember that portage as being rough on me. Anyway, back to the main question. Did Richie Lake, or any of the interior lakes have any algae blooms last year?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

mikep wrote:Anyway, back to the main question. Did Richie Lake, or any of the interior lakes have any algae blooms last year?
Mike, I'd take the lack of repiies as probably not. But you may want to contact the NPS and ask.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
mikep
NewbieCake

Post by mikep »

Thanks, that was my conclusion too. As it turns out I'm canceling my trip this year. Thanks for all the help.

Mike
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Bummer :(