Huge Blisters 6 days before going to Isle Royale

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

The Coggster
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Huge Blisters 6 days before going to Isle Royale

Post by The Coggster »

Well I don't know how but I got a blister on each foot the size of a nickel.
How long will they take to heal?
Will I be able to hike with them?
Are there any ways to speed up healing?

Thanks for any responses.
kanonen
NewbieCake

Re: Huge Blisters 6 days before going to Isle Royale

Post by kanonen »

Drain it with 2 little punctures. keep draining it and leave the thin layer of skin on. It should heal before your trip, but it will be tender as new tougher skin won't grow yet. You could cover with band aide once dry for your hikes.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I would pre-moleskin your blister areas. I have applied moleskin before hiking and haven't gotten a blister since.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
The Coggster
NewbieCake

Post by The Coggster »

Thanks for the responses, I already drained them so hopefully they will be healed. and hopefully I don't get any on the Island.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Ditto on Philranger's suggestion...pre-treating the spots is the way to go. And take lots of opportunities to let the blisters air dry if you can.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Polypropylene liners under your regular socks will help a lot too. That way the liners rub on the socks instead of your skin rubbing on the socks.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
The Coggster
NewbieCake

Post by The Coggster »

I can tell they are already healing because they have shrunk and don't hurt anymore. I bought some moleskin to but in my boots for hiking on Isle Royale.
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I will be able to enjoy Isle Royale with no blisters
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

BandAid Blister Block Cushions. I have narrow heals and tend to get blisters on my heals. These things work wonders. They are worth every penny and then some of the buck a piece they cost. I stopped using mole skins once I found these. If you don't already have blisters this prevents them (if you know where you are blister prone) and if you do already have blisters these things stop the pain and keep them from getting worse.
mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by mihiker »

Ditto on the BandAid Blister Block Cushions.
That Compeed stuff is the best.
I found these things at Target in 2003 or so in a slightly smaller size.
They were ideal for my trouble spot on the outside of my big toes. I have been able to were them for up to a week at a time.

I have not been able to find the small ones at the local stores, be it big box retail, drugstore or specialty store.

I ended up buying them from www.drugstore.com
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

Post by troop402miamisburg »

Cheapest solution, duct tape your feet. I wish I would duct taped my feet more. Everyspot I did not duct tape I got nasty blisters about 1.5 inches long on two of them and almost 4 weeks later still are healing. Those bandiad things work great but for a cheaper solution you can't go wrong with duct tape. Just remember to take it off at night to let your feet breath. :mrgreen:
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

troop402miamisburg wrote:Cheapest solution, duct tape your feet. I wish I would duct taped my feet more. Everyspot I did not duct tape I got nasty blisters about 1.5 inches long on two of them and almost 4 weeks later still are healing. Those bandiad things work great but for a cheaper solution you can't go wrong with duct tape. Just remember to take it off at night to let your feet breath. :mrgreen:
Egads!!! My feet would be a wrecked if I used duct tape.
Also, if you are getting several 1.5 inch blisters you may want to reconsider your choice of boots.
You don't have to take off the blister blockers at night. I wear them 2-3 days.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

There is a product called "Toughskin" (I think that is the name). It is designed to callous up the feet.

I've not had a lot of luck with moleskin. My feet tend to sweat and the mole skin just bunches up and causes more problem. I think the duct tape, or waterproof adhesive tape, is the way to go at the first sign of a "hot spot."